Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard on the news last night that yet another 'new' BMW 3 series has been launched, at the Detroit motor show, it just seems to me that BMW reinvent the 3 series just about every two years. I guess when their marketing is aimed at a 'must keep up with the Jones's' buyer, they have to keep introducing new models, so you can keep upstaging the Jones's.

G

·
0 Posts
Saw an advert for one last night on TV. Looked OK, as OK as BMW's can look. Like the recent-ish 6 Series though

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I heard on the news last night that yet another 'new' BMW 3 series has been launched, at the Detroit motor show, it just seems to me that BMW reinvent the 3 series just about every two years. I guess when their marketing is aimed at a 'must keep up with the Jones's' buyer, they have to keep introducing new models, so you can keep upstaging the Jones's.
the current 3 series has been in production since 2005

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
New one (F30) has been out in the UK for a couple of months now...

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
inconvenient facts aside, yes, that is precisely BMW's marketing plan - constantly recycle the brand values to force early trade up

they have saturated their core market and can only grow by forcing more rapid change over, which is ironic, as they say they make cars that last decades and are super reliable.

also, bear in mind that an awful lot of their "advertising spend" is designed to post justify the decision of yet another mid-rank office drone to lump his company with the excessive running costs of his bog-standard 320d with no options ('cos the scheme won't pay for them) and which will tank at resale because of the above saturation effect. So BMW has to use some of the massive price premium it charges to prop up second hand "repurchases" by dealers.

they do make good adverts though, and measure them relentlessly to improve the "BXD", which is then used to reassure purchasers that they made the right decision...

Genius

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One of their earlier (maybe still used) strap lines was 'Ultimate driving machine'. If that was true, then why did they need to bring out a new model? Or were they originally telling porkies?

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
One of their earlier (maybe still used) strap lines was 'Ultimate driving machine'. If that was true, then why did they need to bring out a new model? Or were they originally telling porkies?
Continuous improvement, competitive advantage, I only really have experience of one BMW, the one I've been driving for the last 4 years, a 3 series msport coupe that we've had from new.

It's better than all the Alfa's I've had in every way, despite only being a 2.0 Diseasel it was as quick in real world terms as a GTA, it handled better, it has NEVER gone wrong in nearly 70,000 miles, it has had 1 service and the second service is imminent in the next 3000 miles.

It has had 2 sets of tyres on it over that distance and timescale which includes the ones that came on the car although they are about to be changed again.

I have absolutely no qualms about recommending a BMW to people, I wouldn't say the same thing about an Alfa...

·
Vendor
45,819 Posts
You have been quite unlucky with your Alfas though Sean, and quite lucky with your Beemer.. I have covered 150k in various Alfas and none of them have really caused me any bother, my first did need a fair bit spending on it but if I'd have had the car checked before I bought it, most of it would have been apparent. I still don't recommend them to friends and family though, as it'll be my fault when they go wrong! :lol:

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
You have been quite unlucky with your Alfas though Sean, and quite lucky with your Beemer.. I have covered 150k in various Alfas and none of them have really caused me any bother, my first did need a fair bit spending on it but if I'd have had the car checked before I bought it, most of it would have been apparent. I still don't recommend them to friends and family though, as it'll be my fault when they go wrong! :lol:
Touch wood, after a couple of initial niggles the brera hasnt put a foot wrong, its a well built car, i think in some ways its too refined though, in gear acceleration is pretty good it just doesnt give much feedback, you are abstracted from the experience, its a lvly plce to be though, has best interior of any car ive had :)

·
Vendor
45,819 Posts
How does it compare to your 320d out of interest? I'm thinking in terms of feedback, refinement, build quality etc. They are a similar age & mileage aren't they?

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The thread wasnt intended to be a peeing contest BMW/Alfa Romeo, it was about the marketing strategy of BMW, davidjwbailey knows exactly what I'm referring to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts