Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
12,574 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
So diesel is going to be 4 time more popular than petrol by 2030.

The article then proceeds to tell us that NO2 from diesels is a problem and doesn't realise that the politicians are likely to start taxing diesel because of it. By 2030 it will probably be taxed out of existence and we'll all be riding push bikes.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
More bad statistics being used to create a scare.

"at this rate, diesel would be four times more popular than petrol by 2030." They are assuming that the growth in diesel's market share has been a linear progression over the last 20 years & that it will continue at the same rate; I can't find data to support this, but I believe it's been pretty well static over the last few years.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Apparently, diesel's share of the new car market is actually falling after years of relentless increase. A recent report has highlighted that diesels produce significantly more pollution in real world conditions than when tested for the EU emission standards. This from Monday's Guardian:

"Nine out of 10 new diesel cars break new EU pollution limits when tested on roads rather than test tracks, according to a new report.
On average, the cars emit seven times the permitted level of NOx gasses, with the worst car producing 22 times the legal limit. Models from every major motor manufacturer breached the limit when they were evaluated in real-world conditions."

Stories like this and the increased awareness of the danger of PM10 particles means that diesels are going to decline in popularity IMHO. And amen to that. Two friends of mine who have just bought new cars, ruled diesels out and bought the petrol version for these reasons.

·
Registered
304 Posts
You are so right this year the government has to take action on nox by law so it stands to reason they will tax it out of existence. I have said for years the rise of diesels is the cause of the rise of cancer quicker they are gone the better for our health

Peter

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Apparently, diesel's share of the new car market is actually falling after years of relentless increase. A recent report has highlighted that diesels produce significantly more pollution in real world conditions than when tested for the EU emission standards. This from Monday's Guardian:

"Nine out of 10 new diesel cars break new EU pollution limits when tested on roads rather than test tracks, according to a new report.
On average, the cars emit seven times the permitted level of NOx gasses, with the worst car producing 22 times the legal limit. Models from every major motor manufacturer breached the limit when they were evaluated in real-world conditions."

Stories like this and the increased awareness of the danger of PM10 particles means that diesels are going to decline in popularity IMHO. And amen to that. Two friends of mine who have just bought new cars, ruled diesels out and bought the petrol version for these reasons.
But doesn't Euro VI eliminate most NOx
And what does "real world" mean... ? Consumption figures for all cars are not attainable

·
Registered
41,851 Posts
Just my luck, I buy my first Diesel car...

I just hope all of the scaremongering and doom merchants don't make the values fall too quickly.

Although a BMW 335d might then become tempting. ;)

·
Registered
800 Posts
Glad i got my v6 and volvo t5 to use when they do run dry......I knew our new focus tdci was a bad move :furious:

·
Registered
41,851 Posts
Whichever way you look at it Diesels are better on fuel than a similar powered petrol.

Plus the tax and insurance are cheaper.

I am saving an easy £50 per month in fuel over my Renaultsport clio and the performance of both cars was very similar.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
unfortunately this is no joke. people with political responsibility and with all the scientific knowledge deliberately chose to poison us for decades just to satisfy the diesel production lobby. the cons of using diesel is well known for a long time. that is why it should be used only on heavy duty vehicles. less CO2 emissions of diesel engines was just a false reason to hit on petrol engines. instead of forcing the petrol engines to have less emissions they let people buy more and more diesel cars.

why just in the last couple of years cars manufactures started to make true efficient petrol and hybrid engines, letting it be overtaken by far by diesel engines on performance and emissions for more than 10 years?
why LPG keeps discriminated?
why engines power keeps raising and raising each year instead of keeping their power but have lower emissions?
why is petrol so damn expensive compared to diesel (on most countries)?
why does the EU keep implementing an emissions directive that is easily fooled by any car manufacturer to reduce emissions just on paper? (my 1997 147 TS meets fuel consumption specs better than any new car)

·
Registered
11,538 Posts
What a load of old guff.

Diesel powered cars provided a quick solution to the long-term problem of rising atmospheric CO2. Pollution particular to diesel engines tends not to stay in the atmosphere and so it's a short-term problem. Yes, it's unfortunate that you may get a disease you might otherwise not have contracted but our species has a better long-term chance of survival because of it.

I live in a sparsely populated area so no one is suffering due to my diesel usage and I'm producing less CO2 than an equivalent petrol vehicle.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.