Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of days ago the mrs broke down in the 156 at the very front of a queue, at traffic lights, waiting to get onto a roundabout on the m61/m6 (in rush hour, of course). The radiator had decided to give up the ghost and most of the gallon of water i poured in promptly gushed straight out of the bottom of the core

As i'd cocked up yet again and not requested breakdown cover with the new insurance company, my only choice was to tow her away (after first having to go and buy a tow rope, which was a mini adventure in itself).

luckily* by the time i got back with the tow rope the engine had cooled sufficiently for me to get it started, so while the gods were smiling i drove it the 5 miles back home (although hot, the temp gauge only got to about 80%).

i daren't drive it to a garage to get it fixed and i dont want to pay over the odds for a call out mechanic, so i've ordered a radiator from ebay and will fit it myself this week.

so, after prattling on, my 2 questions are:

1: what tools do i need to carry out the rad replacement?
*2: will driving the 5 miles home have knackered up the cylinder head?

thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
252 Posts
As long as you or your wife didn't overheat the engine, and/or put cold water in a very hot engine, I would have thought you'd be ok. You've got to fit the new rad either way, so I guess you'll find out soon.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I'd say you'd be lucky to get away with it if its lost as much water as you say. The temperature sensor works by being immersed in the flow of coolant, if there is no coolant then who knows what the sensor is reading!
The thing with modern metal head gaskets is that it may well be fine for a few hundred miles then the fried rubber o rings will give up on you.

·
Registered
30,332 Posts
luckily* by the time i got back with the tow rope the engine had cooled sufficiently for me to get it started, so while the gods were smiling i drove it the 5 miles back home (although hot, the temp gauge only got to about 80%).
oh dear...:
I'd say you'd be lucky to get away with it if its lost as much water as you say. The temperature sensor works by being immersed in the flow of coolant, if there is no coolant then who knows what the sensor is reading!
Exactly. No point looking at the coolant temperature gauge if you've got no coolant in the engine...!

·
Premium Member
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol, not looking good is it?

...i suppose i'll only find out after i've replaced the radiator :(

on the plus side, there must have been some coolant in..as i did notice the temp gauge slowly creeping up as i got closer to home.....:p

can any of you recommend the sockets i need, and if i need to get any ribes as i only have a minimal tool kit?

cheers again :)

·
Premium Member
77,413 Posts
So.......potentially damage is done, but might not be apparent for a while. Fit new rad. Fill system with coolant ;). What next - carry on and wait?

·
Registered
30,332 Posts
on the plus side, there must have been some coolant in..as i did notice the temp gauge slowly creeping up as i got closer to home.....:p
Just the metal around it getting hotter...!!

A new rad & coolant is fairly low cost, far less than a precautionary engine rebuild, so is probably the way to go. Given the relative value of the car, etc.. But get breakdown cover ASAP...!!

·
Premium Member
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So.......potentially damage is done, but might not be apparent for a while. Fit new rad. Fill system with coolant ;). What next - carry on and wait?
If you haven't knackered the engine you will be extremely lucky.
Just the metal around it getting hotter...!!

A new rad & coolant is fairly low cost, far less than a precautionary engine rebuild, so is probably the way to go. Given the relative value of the car, etc.. But get breakdown cover ASAP...!!
i know, but given the fact my wife was crapping her pants at the prospect of being towed in rush hour traffic, i didnt really have much choice but to risk it.:cry:

i'll hold my hand up and say that the lack of breakdown cover was down to me..a mistake that i'll not be making again.

after i've done the radiator, i'll be getting the engine looked at...and if it proves to be knackered, then thats it; the car will be going on ebay for spares and repairs.

isnt life great :)

*cries*

G

·
I don't think you need ribe keys for the rad but wouldn't absolutely swear to it. Try googling for a guide to the job. If you're missing any socket sizes, I should have them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts