Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First Alfa
Older owner
Kept my LR Disco for the rough stuff, and instead of trading in brought new alfa 2005 T1 156
They are still selling them new - mine was a demo (July 2006).
But quite suitable for me.
Perhaps I'm not too knowlegable -but this car is quite suitable for me. I didn't want a 159 (yet) as this 156 seemed perfect for my needs. I wanted something a bit interesting sporting unusual etc. This fits the bill, and my 18 YO son talked me into it.
I used to have a Fiat 125 which I loved -and a cit BX 16V -both were excellant. But now this is a real step ahead -I was going to get a Cit C4 VTS. However, this suits me more. I've grown to love it - and it's getting better and better. I bet everyone is sick of theirs and ready to move on to a 159. But me -I'm happy. This is a classic and a keeper. Or am I being silly?
I joined a French website(when I thought I was going to get the Cit). I told them on the website about my conversion to the 156.
A few of them derided the car and said that the "WHEELS" mag bagged the 156 as rubbish and they thought the same. So I feel like an orphan -except that my insight tells me that my decison to buy was right.
I guess time will tell - Very happy at the moment

Bye

Dave

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Welcome to AO.:D

Alfa Romeo may not be perfect but they always put a smile on your face ;) :D

NB I have been "dumb enough" to own Alfa Romeos, continuously from 1979 !

As far as Citroen are concerned....Topgear the UK TV show said that with a Citroen all the interior pieces self destruct but what is left is reliable and boring ;)

As far as Wheels magazine is concerned ...it is not even useful as Toilet paper ;) :D :cheese:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Hi Dave, and welcome, and I think you made the right decision. Not to mention, the 125 and 156 are not that far apart in concept, with the exception of which wheels drive !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys

You've made me feel better already
I loved the 125 - the acceleration was smooth even and powerful - I never tired of it.
Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
Hi Dave,
Welcome to AO! :cool:
Don't let the 'frenchies' get you down. The Alfa will make you very happy ;)

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Welcome to AO :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Dave, came accross this post & although its old thought I would reply as I am also a Melb/Aust newbie - & it so happens I own a new 159 & my brother owns a 156, so I have some perspective on this. I love my new 159 with a passion, but when I brought it in for a service the other day they gave me a 156 demo to drive, & although I had driven my brother's before that was only briefly, so now I had a chance to really give one a good workout & I have to say it is a fabulous drive - & what a great exhaust note! I do think overall the 159 is a better package, & of course I am biased, but it was designed to compete head on with the german marquees & the quality reflects that. The 156 however has it's own personality & plenty of soul - so enjoy (& forget about those frog cars)

·
Registered
785 Posts
Welcome aboard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts