Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies for what is yet another MCSF problem thread, but I was hoping someone could speculate as to what could be causing the fault.

I'll keep this nice and short... I'm driving a 2005 GT JTD and the MCSF warning light only appears when I exceed... ahem... 70mph (approximately). The warning light will subsequently stay on for a couple of days and then disappear. There are absolutely no symptoms and the car sounds and runs perfectly.

Anybody fancy a stab at this one?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Absolutely no point in speculating in my view. Since the eml has been on there will codes stored even now the light is off. Get the codes read and take it from there.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're probably right, I'm just not sure I have the stomach (or wallet) for another bill. I've spent over £1000 fixing problems with this damn car since buying it only 5 months ago and was hoping someone could shed light on whether it could be a serious (and therefore immediate) issue, or something that can wait.

Although a diagnosis would be great, I think that's a little unrealistic with no information, so I suppose it's people's opinions I was hoping for.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Elm 327 ebay...approx £7

Torque app pro play store £4.50

Buy these and plug in,then report back with codes.

Its pointless trying to diagnose otherwise.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much.

I didn't realise it could be so cheap to obtain the means to access the fault codes myself. I'm getting onto this straight away :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I love MultiECUScan (MES) but would buy a cheap reader first and only move to MES when you either have the time to work around the potential windoooze software / hardware configuration problems or have to access one of the other canbus systems.

For a few people MES installs and works perfectly first time but I think that is rather a small number of people!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so thanks to the advice given earlier I've managed to read the current fault codes.

If anyone can shed any light on what these mean I'd greatly appreciate it. I think I read somewhere that the 'clutch switch' (P0704) fault is related to the cruise control which I'm not too concerned about. However, with the other faults I'm clueless.

https://flic.kr/p/E4Jcjx

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Basically your EGR valve is blocked, remove, clean and refit or buy another, its well documented on here, loads of threads about it, easy to access and clean.

Clutch problem probably a faulty switch that tells the cruise youve pressed it and to disengage.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ahh... the EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation.

Even for a complete novice like me it's starting to make sense now! I don't know where I'd be without this forum and it's members.

Thanks again for the help, it's much appreciated :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts