Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I decided to take out my maf unit as the car was idling to at least 2000 rpms again grr grrrrr, but hay hoe never mind:lol:

I un-did the torx screws and found that the inner unit is made by SMP Europe Ltd. Which after a internet search are based in Northamptonshire. I was slightly puzzled as I thought it would be a Bosch unit. Found out that the maf unit was replaced four years ago...

I then went into the garage and dug out a spare maf unit, un-did the torx screws and wey hey found the inner unit was a Bosch unit, I cleaned it with electrical cleaner and fingers crossed I'll put the unit and maf unit back in my Gtv tomorrow and hopefully it will work.

I then after thinking for a while which hurts my head :cheese::cheese::cheese: found a service place in Basildon, Essex which sells the units on their own with a £23 surcharge refunded back to you.

Happy days as I can see my dad and nan on the same visit:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Today I decided to take out my maf unit as the car was idling to at least 2000 rpms again grr grrrrr, but hay hoe never mind:lol:

I un-did the torx screws and found that the inner unit is made by SMP Europe Ltd. Which after a internet search are based in Northamptonshire. I was slightly puzzled as I thought it would be a Bosch unit. Found out that the maf unit was replaced four years ago...

I then went into the garage and dug out a spare maf unit, un-did the torx screws and wey hey found the inner unit was a Bosch unit, I cleaned it with electrical cleaner and fingers crossed I'll put the unit and maf unit back in my Gtv tomorrow and hopefully it will work.

I then after thinking for a while which hurts my head :cheese::cheese::cheese: found a service place in Basildon, Essex which sells the units on their own with a £23 surcharge refunded back to you.

Happy days as I can see my dad and nan on the same visit:lol::lol::lol:
Never miss an opportunity to see your nan, thats what i always say:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Count the sixpences in the piggy bank......(I may have regressed a little too far there)
No worries:thumbs:

I clean the sensor with brake cleaner, then carefully cleaned the wire part of the sensor with cassette cleaner tape and then cleaned the sensor again with electrical cleaner. Reset the ecu and then took the car out for a 'run':cheese::cheese::cheese:

Temperature then settled to 90 degrees, purposely went to a traffic jam, car didnt overheat and never rose above 900rpm and settled really well:D

Took the car home after a 50 mile run, I then let 'her' cool down and then took it for a run again locally to Tescos for me weekly shop with the missus:cry:. Car ran faultlessly. I m well chuffed:)

I m gradually getting there with tlc for my little red Alfa, even my little dog 'Barney' loves it too and the young lady who lives across the road likes my tan interior, I say she has got good taste:cheese::cheese::cheese:

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I just took the time to actually read the post, not just the nan bit:), the MAF has no effect on idle speed, its just coincidence, the idle speed actuator is the likely cause, wait til it starts idling too high again, give it a sharp tap with the plastic handle of a screwdriver if the revs drop its that,the actuator is mounted on the top of the throttle body, black plastic, round feature on it, held with 2 fasteners.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just took the time to actually read the post, not just the nan bit:), the MAF has no effect on idle speed, its just coincidence, the idle speed actuator is the likely cause, wait til it starts idling too high again, give it a sharp tap with the plastic handle of a screwdriver if the revs drop its that,the actuator is mounted on the top of the throttle body, black plastic, round feature on it, held with 2 fasteners.
:thumbs: cheers msgtv, I'll wait for that to happen, thanks for your advice.:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Crispys right again :)... how about getting your nan to do it while you eat cake.. but tell her to be careful its quite fragile..
Thats a bloody good idea:cheese::cheese::cheese:

She should be tall enough to reach over the bonnett:cheese::cheese::cheese:

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Thats a bloody good idea:cheese::cheese::cheese:

She should be tall enough to reach over the bonnett:cheese::cheese::cheese:
brilliant idea from seadart, im nearly ready to remove the engine from my breaker, obviously the heavy bit is coming up, please ask nan if she does home calls, cheers ms

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
brilliant idea from seadart, im nearly ready to remove the engine from my breaker, obviously the heavy bit is coming up, please ask nan if she does home calls, cheers ms
I asked nan and she said ' #####!!!' i said that wasnt a nice thing to say :cheese::cheese::cheese:

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what was I right about? :confused:
I'll be looking at it today and I'll let you know what the outcome is:lol:

It will be like holby city.

Spanner.... pliers....carb cleaner....:cheese::cheese::cheese:

and hopefully she be ok after minor surgery:cheese::cheese::cheese:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts