Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, back after a few years as have bought another GTV. A 2.0 TS Lusso.

I've been racking my brains trying to remember the key/code arrangements! (this only relates to the immobiliser) I've got the brown master key and the red valet key but no 'everyday' red key.

Question is, can I buy a standard key from a high street retailer like Timpsons and have the key coded to the
master key? Worried about losing the master key.

Thanks

Patrick

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
....Question is, can I buy a standard key from a high street retailer like Timpsons and have the key coded to the
master key?
Yes ;)

As stated on lots of posts, the master key is like any other key and can be used to run the car like any other. It's the 1st key coded to the ECU and can be used to 'program' another key into the ECU by an auto locksmith with the correct kit.

Timsons can clone your master key, That you can use as an everyday key. But perhaps a better option is to get them to cut a key from the master blade, but get the chip cloned from the valet key (not really sure why that's better though ;) )

Rich ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes ;)

As stated on lots of posts, the master key is like any other key and can be used to run the car like any other. It's the 1st key coded to the ECU and can be used to 'program' another key into the ECU by an auto locksmith with the correct kit.

Timsons can clone your master key, That you can use as an everyday key. But perhaps a better option is to get them to cut a key from the master blade, but get the chip cloned from the valet key (not really sure why that's better though ;) )

Rich ;)
Thanks Rich

I know this is a regular question but your answer helps a lot. Cheers

Patrick

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hi

sorry to stick my nose in but I have a couple of questions. I haven't had much luck with searches.

I have the master key and a red remote key with the black button. This unlocks the car remotely and it operates my alarm. (1998 ph2 gtv)

I want to get another red key with combined fob for a spare but where do I buy it from and how do I get it to work with my central locking/alarm/immobiliser?!

many thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi there. Did you ever get an answer/solution to this question? I have the same need for my spider. I have the master key, a red solid key, and the red key with the built in central locking button.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts