Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tuesday morning a colleague of mine wanted a chat, it turned out she was telling me that she was going to hand her notice in. A bit of a shock and it would mean all the networking support would fall to me, we work in the IT support looking after all systems and networks (a fookin big network with scary teeth and snarly things).

Anyway later that day the boss comes in on his day of as he wants to have a meeting with us, to tell us, you guessed it, he's handing his notice in :eek: He also told us something else which basically means there will be two of us left and me the only one with any real networking experience.

This isn't a prospect I am looking forward to. I have felt like I am run into the ground as it is, and there are a number of projects going on which in all honesty I don't like how they are being managed nor what will be asked of us... I mean ME.

I have felt really disheartened lately about work, but kept on as the pay has been OK and despite getting no acknowledgement and there being no appreciation for what we do the team we had was pretty good and worked well together, learning a lot on the way.

I feel this is going to give me the kick up the backside to do sometheing, as I know if I don't it will reach breaking point in some way. I am probably posting to get this off my chest more than anything, but I have simply at the moment had enough of working both in the broadcast industry and in an IT support role. I have come quite away and learnt a lot, but I feel it is time to make a change to do something else. I simply don't know what :confused: i just don't have the drive or enthusiasm to pursue this road any more.

Anyone got any tips or experience for/of making a complete career change into the unknown?

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking that. You seem to be about the only one left who knows what you do, Eddie! That must make you pretty valuable?

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Time management, don't agree to anything that puts you under undue pressure.

Secondly, being self employed since the age of 23 (40 now :eek:) I'm sure I could offer a few bits of advice. If you decide to go for it and need anything let me know.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Why not go for your bosses job?
I was thinking that. You seem to be about the only one left who knows what you do, Eddie! That must make you pretty valuable?
It is the company politics and senior management that put me off, as well as knowing if I did take that job (doubt I will get the chance anyway) the balance would tip even further so that it basically revolves around work only, not something I want having seen what my boss has put up with.

We have a number of big projects on the go which ordinarily would be great to be involved in but they got rid of the projects dept and we now have at least a dozen contractors in who are scaring the hell out of us. Management like them though becuase unlike our in house team they always say, yes. I won't go into detail but one of them is looking to do something that may be the point where I say good luck, pick my coat up and leave. As even though I said what he wants to do cannot happen I don't doubt they will push it through.

Time management, don't agree to anything that puts you under undue pressure.

Secondly, being self employed since the age of 23 (40 now :eek:) I'm sure I could offer a few bits of advice. If you decide to go for it and need anything let me know.
Thanks Howell :thumbs: Appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts