Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday a young guy in a silver E90 3-series rear-ended my 147. This is the 3rd time I've been rear-ended in 2 years and the 4th accident I've been in that wasn't my fault :mad::mad::mad:

I was waiting on the slip road on Olievenhout Ave to turn into Northumberland. He thought I was going when i was actually just creeping forward to get into position to take a gap in the traffic.

He must've floored it into the back of me because it was a pretty hard hit. Luckily I wasn't on the brakes so the damage isn't nearly as bad as it could've been.

Right now my assessment is damage to:
rear valance
boot floor
driver's side quarter panel
rear bumper
both driver side doors panel gaps are now all wrong so will have to be re-hung
towbar

He hit the driver's side rear end and just shaved the tow bar. The Beemer didn't look as badly damaged (cracked and mangled bumper only from what I could tell by a quick look)

Thankfully this time the guy (a well to do young chap) immediately apologised profusely and gave me all his details without any argument. I was quite a bit calmer than I would've been if he'd hit the Spider.

The insurance company is giving me a hard time about taking the car to my preferred panelbeater apparently due to a change of policy whereby the insurance company chooses the shop for you. This is apparently a new thing in response to panelbeaters and customers colluding together.

Am I the only one who's having this happen so often to me? The insurance broker told me that it's unusual/bad to have so many claims in such a sort period. Quick one for the insurance guru's: Even though I insure with MUA i see I have to sign a block on the form that gives consent to Telesure investigations to checkup on my police accident report. Is this common practice?? I've got nothing to hide however I'm curious as it's the first time I've seen this sort of thing.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
The insurance company is giving me a hard time about taking the car to my preferred panelbeater apparently due to a change of policy whereby the insurance company chooses the shop for you. This is apparently a new thing in response to panelbeaters and customers colluding together.
screw that!

Tell them you have a policy against using the underwriters preferred panel shop in response to panelbeaters and insurers colluding together.

this is what actually happens!

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
LOL @ "customers and panelbeaters colluding together"

More like the opposite. Take your damaged car to three panelbeaters and ask them for a quote, telling them that the insurance will be paying. Then take it to another three and tell them you have no insurance and you'll be paying out of your pocket.
I can guarantee that the three quotes where you said the insurance would be paying, will be higher.

It's not usually a case of the panelbeaters and customers colluding, but rather simply the panelbeaters reacting to the incentives put before them in a natural way.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Mind saying which insurance company it is?
I'll bet it's a "direct" company and not one that works through brokers...

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
True fact 1: A car under warranty will ALWAYS need to be repaired by an approved panel beater.
True fact 2: A car no longer under warranty can be repaired anywhere, using pirate parts. Even where safety critical items are being replaced.
True fact 3: MOST insurance companies now actually get the lower quote for repairs than when fixing privately. The reason being they set up service level agreements with panel beaters.

For example a bonnet costs R1500 to respray or R1750 if it is metalic, a front fender will cost X, rear bumper will cost Y and labour is Z per hour. These rates tend to be standard accross the industry. I now know of several top notch panel beaters who do not work for insurance companies anymore because they actually guarantee their work for a lifetime and charge more for their skill. But that doesn't stop them from being fully booked all the time as most motor dealerships send their cars their to have them repaired.

One example is Kemp Bros Panel Beaters in Cape Town. They will also perform warranty repairs: Kemp Bros | Auto body repairers. Trusted in Cape Town since 1931

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
LOL @ "customers and panelbeaters colluding together"

More like the opposite. It's not usually a case of the panelbeaters and customers colluding, but rather simply the panelbeaters reacting to the incentives put before them in a natural way.
Yes, there's so many different outcomes depending on relationships between panelbeaters, assessors and customers. My friend's Tazz got hit two weeks ago, damaging the bumper corner and left fender. The car had some other bodywork issues from previous negligence which the assessor then included. The insurance company then called her back to let her know that the car is uneconomical to repair and that they would pay her the car's retail value of R32 500. I'm not quite sure how much an honest assessment of bumper and fender replacement for a Tazz would run to, but I can't fathom how this makes sense unless the assessor is in cahoots with either the panelbeater or the customer (in this case not).

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Yes, there's so many different outcomes depending on relationships between panelbeaters, assessors and customers. My friend's Tazz got hit two weeks ago, damaging the bumper corner and left fender. The car had some other bodywork issues from previous negligence which the assessor then included. The insurance company then called her back to let her know that the car is uneconomical to repair and that they would pay her the car's retail value of R32 500. I'm not quite sure how much an honest assessment of bumper and fender replacement for a Tazz would run to, but I can't fathom how this makes sense unless the assessor is in cahoots with either the panelbeater or the customer (in this case not).

I once had a fender bender in an old car of mine - not my fault (is it ever? :lol: )
Anyway, the fender was damaged, and the parking light housing was broken too, and the plastic intake pipe that runs next to that fender was also cracked.

Get the quote for repair, after the assessor had looked at the car, and they've sommer included the whole headlight and a new bumper.
Queried it immediately, and had a hell of a time to get them NOT to replace those undamaged items. The panelbeater guy couldn't understand why I wouldn't want that done. Telling him that it's not ethical didn't seem to resonate with him...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yesterday a young guy in a silver E90 3-series rear-ended my 147. This is the 3rd time I've been rear-ended in 2 years and the 4th accident I've been in that wasn't my fault :mad::mad::mad: ...Am I the only one who's having this happen so often to me?
I can totally identify with you I have had four accidents in the past 2 years, and three of them were not my fault. In most recent one(two weeks ago), my dearest 2.0 selespeed 156:cry: (that I sort of Hijacked the Show us your cars thread with) was t boned by a girl skipping a 2-way stop where I had right of way. It seems to be a problem with people not making sure before they act when they are driving. I mean a Massive stone doesn't have break lights but you know to stop when approaching it, the same could be said about a car. Not seeing someone's car is no excuse for rear ending them. That's just my logic though.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I drove the car to work today. Only noticed now that the centre console was damaged when my hand hit it at the point of impact. The back door seals are definitely now leaking too:cry:

I'll be so bleak if the chassis turn out to be bent.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Better not drive the car if at all possible. And/or take photos of everything before doing so - preferably at the accident site.
If the insurance (especially the other guy's third party) want to be bstards about it, they could say that because you drove it before the assessor saw it, the damage could have been caused after the accident.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Better not drive the car if at all possible. And/or take photos of everything before doing so - preferably at the accident site.
If the insurance (especially the other guy's third party) want to be bstards about it, they could say that because you drove it before the assessor saw it, the damage could have been caused after the accident.
I've just sent them a mail stating exactly that so it's on record. My necks also very stiff today.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My neck is officially E%$#ed! Off to the doctor this afternoon. Insurance guys whats the process for this? Do I submit to medical aid and leave it or do I forward bills to insurer?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I am sorry, also had two accidents in a month, not nice when you got rear ended.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very disappointed with broker and insurer right now. I get a call out of the blue this morning that someone is coming to take my car away to be assessed in Pomona (I'm in Rivonia) and they don't know when i'll have it back. I phone my broker to find out what the hell is going on. A snotty women tells me how she can't act as middle man and I must phone the insurer directly etc etc. I was like "isn't that EXACTLY what a broker is meant to do?"

I phone the insurer and they're just as unhelpful, saying I need to goto the closest telelsure assessment centre which is in Pomona. I phone Telesure to get the details of the closest assessment centre which happens to be Bryanston...about a 7 minute drive from the office.

Really peeved with the condescending tone and 'not my problem' attitude.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts