Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
19,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure why, but thoughts turned to one of these this week, and rather appealing thoughts they were, too :thumbup::

MAZDA RX-7 2.6 Turbo 2dr Coupe for sale in Nottingham | Auto Trader

Liked these a lot when they came out, then forgot about them. But of the few I see now, most seem to be have been on the receiving end of the Booyakasha stick. :depressed:

Still, the original one in the link is quite nice. I don't know much about the rotary engine bar the perception (and we know how bad they can be ;)) that it likes petrol and there's something to do with rotor tips that wear. Dunno how true any of that is.

Anyway, do the good folk of AO have any knowledge of these cars? I'm merely entertaining a fantasy, albeit a nice one :)

I thank thee!

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
I remember they had one of the rare few in the UK when I was getting my first ever new car, a Xedos 6, and I sat in it and loved it.

It was almost stupidly expensive, I think, but pretty exotic. Once they got older and the grey imports flooded in they got chavved a bit but I believe they have a great chassis for easy drifting.

·
Registered
17,485 Posts
I remember at the time it was really quite exotic with titanium bits and other fanciness. I like them because it's one of those cars where they let the engineers off the leash and keep the bean counters on it. It always results in things that people don't buy but the approach has to be admired.

The engines don't have the longevity of a piston engine (this applies to the RX8 too I believe) so you're looking at expensive engine rebuilds at 100k or less, regardless of how well they've been looked after.

In the USA, and to some extent here, there is a growing trend of putting Chevrolet's ubiquitous LS motor in them giving as much power as you like. So much so that the parts to do it are available off the shelf.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts