Alfa Romeo Forum banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I ve also read elsewhere that the shift loosens up over time.
Possibly, i did have one fitted to my old 147 Diesel, and whether i just got used to it or it actually did loosen up with use, but by the time I sold it i didn't even notice it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
By fitting the short shift lever, the mechanical advantage in the mechanism is reduced, hence the load increases.
Lubricating old gearshift cables may reduce the load, or fitting new cables. The rose joint will remove compliance from the bush. Perished boots on the gearshift cables are very common and only full sets of cables are availible.

Conversely if the mechanism was modified to increase the shift length the load would decrease.However why would anybody do this.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Yeah I cant see why anyone would want to increase the shift length, but I m pretty sure you could see why someone would want to reduce it ?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yeah, I did get a couple of fittings incorrect first time around, more to do with getting the stiffer hose to route around all the pipework and bits at the back of the bay, but got there in the end.
Admire your perseverance - I had to call it a day after a while as I couldn't find a firm who would work with me to confirm the fittings/thread pitches needed for the various locations. Frustrating as the majority of what I want to do in the engine bay is done and this was going to be the finishing touch, aside from finding a solution for the piece of cloth (aka sponge!) that sits beside the battery on the NSF wing, which I see you have also been working on.
Nice work

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Admire your perseverance - I had to call it a day after a while as I couldn't find a firm who would work with me to confirm the fittings/thread pitches needed for the various locations. Frustrating as the majority of what I want to do in the engine bay is done and this was going to be the finishing touch, aside from finding a solution for the piece of cloth (aka sponge!) that sits beside the battery on the NSF wing, which I see you have also been working on.
Nice work
If you ever decide to try again, give me a shout, I've got the sizes for most of the fittings logged in my book of useless info that I will have forgotten by next week, but might need again one day.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Nice work
I had to turn down some of the fittings on a lathe to get a good fit. I can provide you with a parts list from Aeroflow which is what I used. One fitting had to be shortened and one piece on the plenum modified. As for the cloth piece, you can still buy them new mate :D Well Alfa in Australia still has them.

Edraven, did you nick that idea for pinstriped inlet sleeve clamps from me? :p

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Actually...yes I saw them somewhere ages ago, on a Gtv I think and tried to source some then, but gave up, then I saw yours and unashamedly copied you:ROFLMAO:, so thank you.

At least we are on opposite sides of the planet, so they will never be side by side.

·
Registered
295 Posts
If you ever decide to try again, give me a shout, I've got the sizes for most of the fittings logged in my book of useless info that I will have forgotten by next week, but might need again one day.
Thank you, that's appreciated - It's certainly on the to do list one day

·
Registered
295 Posts
I had to turn down some of the fittings on a lathe to get a good fit. I can provide you with a parts list from Aeroflow which is what I used. One fitting had to be shortened and one piece on the plenum modified. As for the cloth piece, you can still buy them new mate :D Well Alfa in Australia still has them.

Thanks bobulon, I may well take you up on that (y)
Yes, I have got a new one of those cloth things. Unfortunately they're not much better when they're brand new! There's also a strange cut-out at one end that I can't see the purpose of..

81 - 91 of 91 Posts