Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It doesn’t seem a year since I posted about the Police Gala Day at the Norfolk show ground and how there were hundreds of classic cars and many car clubs and only one Alfa.
There was talk about Alfaowner club being represented this year but we were all unsure if it would be going ahead as the police had pulled out of organizing the event.

Well the Norfolk Gala Day did go ahead, it was another good day with hundreds of classic cars and around 20 car clubs, but again one Alfa, this time ME.

I was invited along by a classic car club from North Norfolk. (£5 per car including 2 persons.)
The only other Italian cars I could find were a Fiat spider and Lancia.

As I said 12 months ago, why do we not do this huge event? Any Alfa can come on a club stand, old and new.

Did anyone else go for a look?

·
Registered
11,203 Posts
It doesn’t seem a year since I posted about the Police Gala Day at the Norfolk show ground and how there were hundreds of classic cars and many car clubs and only one Alfa.
There was talk about Alfaowner club being represented this year but we were all unsure if it would be going ahead as the police had pulled out of organizing the event.

Well the Norfolk Gala Day did go ahead, it was another good day with hundreds of classic cars and around 20 car clubs, but again one Alfa, this time ME.

I was invited along by a classic car club from North Norfolk. (£5 per car including 2 persons.)
The only other Italian cars I could find were a Fiat spider and Lancia.

As I said 12 months ago, why do we not do this huge event? Any Alfa can come on a club stand, old and new.

Did anyone else go for a look?

I have never heard of it!

Any pics?

·
Registered
178 Posts
i saw your car, and i have to say i thought the same as you ,would be great to see a lot of alfas there. i do not think the gala day is very well advertised. my brother in law had a stand there and when he booked it he asked if they had any posters to put up in his shop they did not have any but knocked him up a couple on their printer,bit poor really.

·
Registered
154 Posts
This is no longer the long established informal RADIO NORFOLK OLD CAR RALLY, which was hijacked by the Police but since they can no longer afford it this has now become a commercial operation run by the previous organiser and the RNAA (owners of the showground) and there is some disquiet because of charging the exhibitors who attract the punters.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The biggest exhibitors being the cars at £5 per vehicle with two people. Whats the cost of a local carpark for the day and are the hundreds of other cars in that car park intresting?

Who are these disquieted exhibitors? The ice cream van association?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Strange to see the "ice cream brigade" mentioned........seems the 'new' brigade may not have had such a good day as previously. Were the ice creams more expensive this year.....?
The point was that if there are no exhibitors then there would be no punters, and organisers are now greedy extracting money from both. Matter of principle rather than amount. There are numerous excellent events in the area - the Norwich Classic Club annual event invites all comers and doesn't charge anyone, exhibitors or public: that's an enthusiasts event. Similarly the recent North Norfolk Classic Vehicle Club (near 150 members) would doubtless welcome AO Club members individually or as a group......and don't forget the superb annual event at "The Goat" at Skeyton near North Walsham.

·
Registered
154 Posts
O.K. fair comment, but I am sure the more active members in Norfolk are well aware of events in the area. However, next year - if our government hasn't priced us off the road - I will send a list of known events with contact details. Just for interest, I was advised yesterday that one event had to write to possible entrants this year and state their proposed exhibitor charge was an "error" and no longer applied as nobody had entered: one of the other clubs has now boycotted any event where a charge is made to enter. LONG LIVE PEOPLE POWER!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There’s a coincidence with this thread, I normally take the spider up the road to a village called Fleggburgh as last weekend the Triumph owners club held their annual weekend Norfolk gathering. It’s always well attended with good weather and it’s also open to any classic cars that wish to join in, and many do.

I took the Spider there last weekend. On arrival at the holiday camp site, I was greeted by many classic cars outside the show field area which was strange. I drove up to the check point with my young son and was greeted by a very pleasant lady. “Is this a classic car”? She asked? Strange question for an organiser I thought. “Yes” I replied. “That will be £5 each to take the car in” she stated. “And what if I don’t want to take it in” I asked. “Then that will be £1.50 for you and if your son is under 16, he can go in free.

NO BRAINER.

We parked the car outside with many other classics and paid £1.50 total to get in as my son was under 16. Great day, great cars(inside and out), poor organisational thought process.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts