Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought my self another Alfa Giulia super , i dont know much history about the car but i know for sure someone was fiddling with the engine , it has a 1750 block with a 1600 head on it does this even work ? will the 1750 pistons not hit the head ?

the four door were so clean that it was swooped out for another car , the doors on the car at the moment do not have any rust at all an no signs of fixing

the seats look to big for a Giulia Super so that will need to be changed

does anyone know any more history of this car ?

Attachments

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Where did you buy it from?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alan Hooper at midlands motors, but it was Georges(Dundee) car that alan supposed to sort out , so even Alan and George doesn't know the history

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Very nice, Ryloz.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Nice, you should get a slight bump in compression because of the smaller combustion chambers. Not an unusual mod when 1600 blocks are hard to find.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi El thanks for letting me know that's , so will 2.0 cams be better not that I've checked what cams are in there , will also be nice to know what the compression will be , at least now I know that it has been done before :)

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Nice, you should get a slight bump in compression because of the smaller combustion chambers. Not an unusual mod when 1600 heads are hard to find.
Little off topic - but I have seen a 1.8 Alfetta head on a 2000 GTV's 2.0 motor.
The owner reckoned that it gives better flow, better fuel consumption - and most important - more powaaaa ! :biglaugh:

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have not seen it , just thinking the 1.8 is 80mm bore an the 2.0 is 84mm won't the piston hit the head , I managed to start the giulia timing was way out and the fuel pump is not working , it doesn't sound like any thing is knocking an revz freely

I'm just worried if you drive it hard that the pistons will hit the head

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
we had a GTV and a Giulietta both with 2.0 bottom ends and 1.8 heads with 40 webbers...those cars were sublime..so yes it has been done.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Little off topic - but I have seen a 1.8 Alfetta head on a 2000 GTV's 2.0 motor.
The owner reckoned that it gives better flow, better fuel consumption - and most important - more powaaaa ! :biglaugh:
That CANNOT be done as the 1.8 and 2.0 motors have bore spacing that is different (so the combustion chambers will not line up with the pistons) as well as the bore sizes themselves that are also different.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
That CANNOT be done as the 1.8 and 2.0 motors have bore spacing that is different (so the combustion chambers will not line up with the pistons) as well as the bore sizes themselves that are also different.
Yes I also don't know how this is done.
The bores for the different size Nord motors:

1290- 74
1570- 78
1779- 80
1962- 84

However - Kevin at AK Classics had a Junior 2000 GTV in his shop for a while (customers car) that had the 1800 head on the 2.0. I have also heard about this mod from a couple of other people too.

Would actually like to know more about this myth/mod myself.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
we had a GTV and a Giulietta both with 2.0 bottom ends and 1.8 heads with 40 webbers...those cars were sublime..so yes it has been done.
Thank you Jacques, I was just about to post that it is not possible to mix 1750 and 2000 heads. The bore center spacing is larger on the 2000.

It was tried to open 1800 sleeves to 84mm, but this was not successful, the sleeves get to thin and crack.

As for a 1600 head on a 1800, the compression ratio will go up. But now you sit with smaller valves. so you will need a more aggressive cam to compensate.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Corrie thanks for the info i thought that also 1800 and 2.0 heads are not interchangeable

As for the 1600 head and 1750 block ive checked around an see that the valve size are the same , i will use the normal 2.0 (10548) cam on the intake side , i just need to know whats the max lift i can go with

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
As for the 1600 head and 1750 block ive checked around an see that the valve size are the same , i will use the normal 2.0 (10548) cam on the intake side , i just need to know whats the max lift i can go with
To check, measure the valve spring length as fitted in the head. Now disassemble and put the spring in a vice. Tighten the vice until the spring is the std length. Now you can tighten more to similate the compression of the cam lobe. The theory is there must still be 1mm between the wires of the spring when compressed. Less is looking for trouble.

The lift of popular performance cams of the period for road cars was 9.7mm and 10.3mm which I have used on 1.8 and 2.0 engines with standard valve springs. I didn't know to check spring length and didn't take the heads off the engines at the time.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thank corrie i will do that to check :) just putting the small stuff back on it so i can take it for a drive

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does anyone know what size tires fit the 15" steel rims , on the tyre is says 165H15 , I've check all over but can not find that size tyre , anyone else used another size tyre ?

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Does anyone know what size tires fit the 15" steel rims , on the tyre is says 165H15 , I've check all over but can not find that size tyre , anyone else used another size tyre ?
1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Super specifications, information, data, photos 16390
Alfa Romeo Giulia | Longstone Tyres
155HR15 - Diameter(mm) 628

The closest modern day tire that has that rolling diameter in 15" is:
195-65R15 vs 195-60R15 - Tire and Wheel Plus Sizing | Tire Size Calculator
195-65R15 Diameter: 634.50 mm
195/60R15 Diameter: 615.00 mm

1 - 20 of 38 Posts