Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok ay chaps, its just not my week!
After being done by the copper for having an MOT that was 1 hour and 40 minutes out of date I duly delivered my car to the MOT test station in Newcastle.

I left the car as they couldn't do it straight away!

Today I went to collect the car only to find a large dent in the back door!

I took it to my mate who used to work at a body shop and his exact words were "Ah yes i've seen loads of these"!

The dent is vertical but only on the door, not the sill!

Immediately he said that the door has been opened whilst on the hydraulic ramp hitting one of the 4 circular supports, the garage say that its not possible!

Any advice on what I can do would be greatly appreciated please!

·
Premium Member
77,396 Posts
I'd remonstrate - make it clear the car was undamaged before it went in and ask how they can explain it. Are they saying it isn't possible or are they saying 'it was like that when we got it'?

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
I've had a similar experience with a garage who damaged my old 145 while it was in for a clutch change.
I'm afraid, unless you have dated photos, or signed paperwork from the garage listing any damage from before you dropped it off (akin to what you get when you pick up a hire car), then there's not a lot you can do. :(

You could always call their bluff and say you had just had some photos taken of it before you Dropped it off as you were thinking of selling. (I'm assuming you have photos of it...)

Good luck.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Unless they've been very tidy, you'll probably find that your paint is still on their ramps ... but ultimately what it boils down to is criminal damage, they have damaged your car whilst it has been in for the MOT and THEY are liable ... you could either talk to your insurance company about it (if you have legal protection), or you could go to the police ... in fact the copper who pulled you over the other night probably did a full inspection of your car so he will probably be able to verify that it was ok then ...

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unless they've been very tidy, you'll probably find that your paint is still on their ramps ... but ultimately what it boils down to is criminal damage, they have damaged your car whilst it has been in for the MOT and THEY are liable ... you could either talk to your insurance company about it (if you have legal protection), or you could go to the police ... in fact the copper who pulled you over the other night probably did a full inspection of your car so he will probably be able to verify that it was ok then ...
Chris I did tell them that the Police wanted me to get my ID out of the car and I used that door to access my wallet, drove straight home parking on my drive then straight to the MOT test station!

Whats worse is that I am a VERY good customer with this garage spending thousands with them each year to keep my car meticulously maintained.........looks like its Alexanders for me now!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does it sound like piles :lol:
:lol:

Thanks for your PMs chaps, i'm obviously not the only one to have suffered at the hands of you know who!!!!!

Looks like its definately Alexanders for me even though they're 40 miles away!

·
Premium Member
77,396 Posts
Bad news mate.

I would wager that if you really went for it and convinced them that their reputation will take a dent......or you could always set Mr Orange on them

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bad news mate.

I would wager that if you really went for it and convinced them that their reputation will take a dent......or you could always set Mr Orange on them
To be honest Steve, if they are so short sighted not to see that, then i'm not prepared to waste my time on them!

It's going to cost me about £200 for the repair, to them being in the trade they would probably get it done for £100.........to me it is very very bad business for the sake of £100!

They must be very busy to be prepared to loose my thousands and potentially a car sale too!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
if i was you i would tell them you have already named and shamed them for this on an alfa forum and you will not be returning to the garage again due to their lack of honesty, keep pushing for them to repair it, once they have sack them off for another garage

dont stand for it, they are in the wrong and they should pay for the repair

on a similar note, a garage i use damaged a customers car (a clapped out old mondeo) they sourced a new bumper (the old one only had a slight crack in it) replaced the bumper before the customer returned for the car and apologised to them and explained that they had already replaced the damaged part

that is good customer service and honesty (the customer still uses the garage)

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Problem is that it's their word against mine!

My car is 8 years old now with 140K and as i've got a private plate everyone still thinks its brand new.........it is mechanically perfect, always serviced before the due date, absolutely any fault has been fixed......I have spent thousands at this garage......the thing that upsets me is that they are insinuating that it is me trying to pull a fast one!

That dent 100% occured while in their possession, I have no doubt!

One thing that was put to me by PM was why on earth was I using them in the first place as they are NO cheaper than the main dealer and quite often use pattern parts!

I won't be back!

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I would say write them a letter, explaining how much money you've spent with them in the last few years (include invoice numbers if you can), what has happened whilst they've got your car and that you will never take your car back to them unless this is rectified ... I don't know how big this garage is but if the letter gets to the owner (i.e. someone who cars about lost business) then something might get done ... mention that it's only a couple of hundred quid to fix and they might to the maths and work out it would be better to keep you as a customer (even though you're never likely to go back there again...)

·
Premium Member
77,396 Posts
Problem is that it's their word against mine!

My car is 8 years old now with 140K and as i've got a private plate everyone still thinks its brand new.........it is mechanically perfect, always serviced before the due date, absolutely any fault has been fixed......I have spent thousands at this garage......the thing that upsets me is that they are insinuating that it is me trying to pull a fast one!

That dent 100% occured while in their possession, I have no doubt!

One thing that was put to me by PM was why on earth was I using them in the first place as they are NO cheaper than the main dealer and quite often use pattern parts!

I won't be back!
i won't use them (or buy from them again) on the back of this example of crap service. As you say, basic business sense....lose a ton, keep a grand. Or vice versa - their choice.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i won't use them (or buy from them again) on the back of this example of crap service. As you say, basic business sense....lose a ton, keep a grand. Or vice versa - their choice.
Yep, couldn't agree more.

Well it's gone into the bodyshop today to get the dent removed, i'll let you know what the finished job id like!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts