Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 02 156 2.0jts sw has a loud clunking from the front suspension. Today i jacked up the car & have discovered the passenger side top wishbone has alot of play in it. I can't detect any movement in the lower wishbone or the drivers side.

Can I change just the one wishbone or should i do both uppers, or even all 4? If anyone can direct me to previous threads on this subject I would be grateful. Also is there anything else likely to need replacing? The car runs superbly so i'm willing to pay to get it right, just don't want to replace parts unnecessarily.

Have also noticed the front tyres are both worn badly on the insides, is there a cure for this? Cheers Jez

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Clunking is usually down to knackered anti roll bar drop links rather than worn wishbone bushes.

However, it's the bushes in the top wishbones that tend to go first so if you can feel excessive play in one of them you might as well replace them both.

Expect to pay about £37 a piece from somewhere like Shop4Parts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi there,

I'm no mechanic so feel free not to trust me, but excessive wear on insides/outsides of your tyres is very commonly down to your tracking being wrong. Sounds like you've got too much "toe out".

Worth getting it checked out otherwise you might be chucking money away on tyres (won't be helping your fuel economy if when the car's trying to pull itself in two opposite directions).

Hope that helps!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts