Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

My 147GTA recently blew a diff 6 months out of warranty with only 30,000kms on the clock. I've spoken to the Dept. Fair Trading and they tell me that it's reasonable to expect that a diff on a car last longer than 30,000kms. They tell me I might have a case to get Alfa to replace the diff. Has any one else had a similar experience? i.e trying to get the diff replaced for free outside of the warranty period. Any info would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
745 Posts
i do know that it is a common problem with the GTA diff.

At least now you can get the Q2 Diff which is the recommended replacement and way better perf.

Good luck with that but free replacement outside of warranty....? can't really see that happening..

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Hi Guys,

My 147GTA recently blew a diff 6 months out of warranty with only 30,000kms on the clock. I've spoken to the Dept. Fair Trading and they tell me that it's reasonable to expect that a diff on a car last longer than 30,000kms. They tell me I might have a case to get Alfa to replace the diff. Has any one else had a similar experience? i.e trying to get the diff replaced for free outside of the warranty period. Any info would be much appreciated.
Hey there flippedbit... do a search on diffs and Q2 on the GTA forum, there are a whole lot of people on here that have totalled their diffs, especially the 147 GTA's, dunno why...... and many people will tell you.. "install a Q2 differential"

Hope in the process pits of the diff didn't crack through the casing and get into your gearbox, otherwise you might be needing a new gearbox too.. hold thumbs.. i hope only the diff is broken...

check on the EB Spares website, i bought mine for about GBP 305 i think for the Q2 diff including the bearings.....

Hope you get her sorted soon... and Alfa Romeo should come to the party, the car has very little mileage and it's just out of warranty, maybe they can foot half the bill or something...

Good luck..

·
Registered
567 Posts
My guess is you'll have to fight Ateco, so be prepared. They're not known for helping Alfa owners unless they have to.

They'll say it was "driver abuse" and deny any liability. If you've got the energy, you'll have to persevere.

But fitting a Q2 diff is recommended over getting another standard diff. Good luck.

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
My guess is you'll have to fight Ateco, so be prepared. They're not known for helping Alfa owners unless they have to.

They'll say it was "driver abuse" and deny any liability. If you've got the energy, you'll have to persevere.
^^^ as above, ATECO have historically been very unhelpful with warranty for the diffs, though this may be changing given the number of problems with the diff (ie: it's becoming more apparent that it's a design fault rather than user-abuse).

in the past, they have had the dealers check the car's ECU 'log' for the number of 'redline' events (ie: how often the car has been redlined), then used that as a reason for the damage (presuming it's been redlined a lot!), and claiming no responsibility.

'good luck' for sure. it's a well-recognised problem amongst alfisti, so it's a pity you did not take out the 'prevention' earlier and fit the Q2. now you face a long period of stress, waiting for inspection and repairs. the car could be off the road for weeks, waiting on parts. the gearbox casing could be damaged, and pieces of broken gears could have entered the gearbox (from the separated diff area) and damaged those gears - which means a much bigger job. that's if the workshop decide to open up the gearbox instead of the quick-fix and 'hope for the best'. :(

any updates on what's happened so far? has the car been cracked open for inspection? any feedback on warranty coverage?

:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Attached is a picture of the diff. My mechanic is now in the process of pulling out the gearbox to see if there was any damage. At the moment the damage bill is about $3000 which includes replacement diff. This figure may increase if there is any further damage. I haven't spoken to Ateco yet as I was waiting on a final damage assessment. I'm happy for them to check the cars ECU as I can't even remember the last time I red lined the car.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts