Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way home from work I pulled out of a junction and the car jumped out of 1st accompanied by a graunching gear sound. While rolling I tried 2nd and the same happened (it's a manual 147 GTA).
I managed to carefully pull away in first and drove on the motorway without issue.
Once of the motorway the same thing happened at every junction where I had to stop or nearly stop.
I tried pulling away in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Just managed to limp the short distance home and abandon it.

Does anyone have any idea what this is?
I'm assuming it need to be recovered to a garage before I sell my children to fund yet another f#@cking problem.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Sorry to hear this. Do you have the standard front differential in there still? Sounds like front differential has failed...

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I'm sure the only way to find out what's wrong is removing the gearbox and dif. (it one unit). At the same time check the clutch.
Could be a broken lock washer and/or a nut that has worked loose.
Also a change cable can have broken. there can be lots of causes.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Does it go into gear OK and then graunch, or does it graunch going into gear? And are you having the same problem changing into any gear, or just 1-2-3?

If it's graunching when you try to select any gear that sounds more clutch related, if it's only having issues with some gears that sounds more like a box or gear shift issue, if it goes into gear OK but graunches when you put the power down that sounds more like a diff (or something after it) issue. But if it actually jumped out of gear, that sounds more like the box has had it, especially if the box is whining more than usual :(

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It seems to go into gear ok but jumps out under load and that is when the noises start, like it's only partially engaged. There is no drive at all when this happens.
The gear stick isn't any more slack than usual.
I don't know if the other gears have the same issue, but after the first time it happened I drove it carefully all the way up to sixth and cruised at motorway speed. It was only when pulling away after the next junction that it happened again.

I think I'll talk to Autolusso South in the morning because this is beyond my skills and equipment.
I guess this is the problem with trying to use a 13 year old Alfa as your everyday car!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Yeah, definitely makes sense. It could be just a gear selector issue (and maybe an iffy engine mount) if you're lucky, so not worth worrying too much 'til you've had it assessed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think so, that sounds like standard diff failure to me

There is info on our web site about this

Autolusso - M32 6 Speed Gearbox

Ned

Thanks. Fingers crossed it hasn't punched a hole in the gearbox casing!
It'll be annoying if it doesn't have a Q2, it wasn't a factor on the price or whether or not to buy the car but if I'd known I wasn't being told the truth it would've been!

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Thanks. Fingers crossed it hasn't punched a hole in the gearbox casing!
It'll be annoying if it doesn't have a Q2, it wasn't a factor on the price or whether or not to buy the car but if I'd known I wasn't being told the truth it would've been!
The fact that it still drives albeit in a straight line gently suggests that it is not too bad... I certainly wouldn't drive it again though.....

·
Registered
151 Posts
Where in Hants are you mate?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To wrap this thread up: it was a diff and driveshaft failure. Now have a quaife and new clutch and slave cylinder at the same time.
Picked it up this morning, it's so good to have it back.
Having the loan car was great and made me appreciate 2 things:
1. I really like my GTA
2. Having a "banger" for commuting in makes a lot of sense!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts