Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked at a few of the very thorough Bose retrofit guides here but I cant seem to find any info on fitting to a face lift 147?

So were facelifted 147's every fitted with the Bose system from the factory? Second can I fit a pre-facelift system to a facelifted car? The reason being is that all the systems available on Ebay etc are from pre-facelifted cars. I don't want to buy a kit only to find it won't fit...and before anyone pipes up...Yes I do know the Bose is rather rubbish and no I don't want to go aftermarket.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
All the plugs should be there to add the Bose, have seen facelifted cars with it fitted.
Easy enough to check for the harness if your not sure though.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
According to Eper there are quite a bit of harness differences:
Pre facelift:
FIAT ePER

Facelift:
FIAT ePER

I thought the Bose loom is separate from the rest anyway - As Ed said, If you can find the connectors that Keep-rolling mentioned in his guide - I'm sure you can do it...

Personally I ripped out my Bose amp - still using the Bose 2ohm speakers - but a custom built subwoofer and aftermarket amps. It sounds SOOOO much better than the Bose setup. One gripe I had with the Bose is it sent all frequencies (including highs) to the sub and all frequencies (including lows) to the main speakers, thus distortion happened quickly. My advice is an aftermarket kit will be just as complicated to get installed, but will end up sounding better.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
It was still an option on facelifts, although some late RHD models lack the connector in the boot to power the Bose - both my Ducati Corses dont have it, yet I ve seen some LHD Ducatis with it from the factory.

Its not hard to add a lead from the battery though and everything else is there.

Retrofitting Bose for a facelift is the same as for a non facelift.

I thought the Bose loom is separate from the rest anyway - As Ed said, If you can find the connectors that Keep-rolling mentioned in his guide - I'm sure you can do it...

Personally I ripped out my Bose amp - still using the Bose 2ohm speakers - but a custom built subwoofer and aftermarket amps. It sounds SOOOO much better than the Bose setup. One gripe I had with the Bose is it sent all frequencies (including highs) to the sub and all frequencies (including lows) to the main speakers, thus distortion happened quickly. My advice is an aftermarket kit will be just as complicated to get installed, but will end up sounding better.
I did the opposite - I kept the Bose woofer enclosure and amp, but upgraded the speakers to JBL GTO627s and the sub to a Helix B5B woofer.

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
Surely a new head unit and speakers is a better way to go than a bose retro fit.
Having retro-fitted a Bose kit in a 147 with no pre-fitted Bose power cable, I am inclined to agree. On a three door car you have to take most of the interior out including the glove box and passenger kick plate. Plus because there was no Bose power cable I had to route my own power cable through the bulkhead which was not fun. Lesson learned, make sure you have a power connector under the boot carpet first. Saying that if want a different head unit etc you'll have to do this anyway.

It's good if you want to preserve the originality but the technology is close to 15 years old and sound gear has moved on but each to their own, I like my Bose system. :thumbs:

P.s. My thread is on here somewhere as I made a semi-how to guide with a lot of help from fellow member Keeprolling, if you decide on the retro-fit that is.

Reactions: dgmayhead

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Keeprolling did a full guide himself.

You dont actually have to remove the rear door cards, it is possible to fit the speakers with them in place, bit of a squeeze to get in there though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts