Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... blown 2 turbos finally got it sorted and the car has been running great, untill today. I left work and there was absolutly no power, foot to the floor and acceleration takes ages, I was doing 60mph in 4th gear 2500rpm foot to the floor and nothing. Its seems like the power is right at the end of the rev range. After a quick search theres lots of post's about the maf do you think this is what it is? Il try unplugging it tomorrow see if it changes and if it does how long can I drive before the engine management light comes on? Also wheres the best place to get a maf sensor and how much are we looking at?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hello Fordy86,

Sorry to read of your problems, I had similar symptoms with a 156 jtd which we traced to a blocked EGR valve, but if the Maf fails, unplugging should show an improvement - eBay is a good source for a Maf, but avoid cheap copies; the genuine Bosch should be about £70. There are good guides on how to clean your EGR valve and solenoid on the forum if you do a search.

Best of luck
Cheerio
The Captain:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
don't forget to check if the VNT vacuum hoses have split. That's a fairly similar set of symptoms you're describing there......

·
Registered
143 Posts
Had exactly the same issue my EGR valve solenoid was stuck open strip and clean or replace as above there is a ver good guide somewhere on here

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ahhh its the boost pressure solenoid... I broke the nozzles off it when I got overly excited removing my turbo.. I cleaned and araldited the nozzles back on, then araldited the pipes, then araldited over the lot... the pipe that comes from the turbo had come loose inside the araldite so time to get some more around it (I only did it like this because I couldn't find one and it was suggested on here)

I have found one with the same part number on fleabay - its just in Latvia that's the problem!!

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
ahhh its the boost pressure solenoid... I broke the nozzles off it when I got overly excited removing my turbo.. I cleaned and araldited the nozzles back on, then araldited the pipes, then araldited over the lot... the pipe that comes from the turbo had come loose inside the araldite so time to get some more around it (I only did it like this because I couldn't find one and it was suggested on here)

I have found one with the same part number on fleabay - its just in Latvia that's the problem!!
i was near enough right then..... :lol:

new one here: Alfa Romeo 147 1.9 JTD Boost Regulator Valve but good luck with the araldite!

btw its worth getting a metre of 4mm silicone vacuum tube and replacing the pipes if you haven't already. Shouldn't need aralditing on, mind!

M

·
0 Posts
3mm silicone is better, well I think so 4mm is a bit loose on small connection to solenoid....

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I might have a little jubilee clip on that one (will have to check - gimme 45 mins and i'll look at lunchtime). I went for 4mm cos the metal connection on the other end (the one infront of the engine cover) is a bit big for getting 3mm onto and i'd struggled with some other hose I'd tried previously.

I'm sure the silicone will stretch to it mind (well it must do if that's what you've got! :D )

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got my new boost controller this morning but its not that whats playing up, even tho it did need replacing. Looks like its my maf sensor, I unplugged it and off it went like a rocket. Il order one later today, how long can I drive with it unplugged or is it best to plug back in and let the car stay in snail mode?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
If it were me i'd leave it unplugged fella. If thats making the car drive better then I reckon its the way to go till the new MAF arrives?

·
Registered
551 Posts
You should be fine running it for a quite a while with the MAF disconnected, makes the engine run on a set of default values rather than 'real' values.
I wouldn't leave it too long before changing the MAF though :thumbs:

·
Registered
551 Posts
3mm silicone is better, well I think so 4mm is a bit loose on small connection to solenoid....
Yes - 3mm rather than 4 ID :thumbs:

'ere we go. No jubilee clips and 4mm silicone. Nice tight fit as well, and a pic of the metal hose to show why I went 4mm

hope its of use!
I'm liking the pics but thinking (if my memory serves) that the 1.9 8 & 16v have a different arrangement regarding the vacuum hoses compared to the 2.4, so 3mm ID is the optimal hose choice. Could be wrong of course.......

M

·
0 Posts
You tried cleaning the MAF??? Probs fecked but always worth giving a cheap fix a go... if not leave unplugged till replaced.

John

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nah not tried cleaning it yet, I stuck a cone filter on there when I changed my turbo.. everything was fine till we had all that rain, I had no choice to go through a big puddle and its been since then its played up.. I think I mayput my standard airbox on now as the filter that's on you can hear a lot of sucking going on, it's not a nice intake sound either makes it sound rough... Would this be the filter or a split hose?. . Doesnt do it at standstill whilst revving... Just when driving at about 2k revs which gets louder then stops towards the end of the rev range

·
Registered
551 Posts
Nah not tried cleaning it yet, I stuck a cone filter on there when I changed my turbo.. everything was fine till we had all that rain, I had no choice to go through a big puddle and its been since then its played up.. I think I mayput my standard airbox on now as the filter that's on you can hear a lot of sucking going on, it's not a nice intake sound either makes it sound rough... Would this be the filter or a split hose?. . Doesnt do it at standstill whilst revving... Just when driving at about 2k revs which gets louder then stops towards the end of the rev range
Might have been useful to mention the cone filter and large puddle to begin with.
Chances are the MAF is screwed, not needing a clean, but screwed by the water. MAF + water = unhappy car owner.
Disconnect it, see if it's running any better. Order new MAF and fit it, keep the cone filter if you want (but get a 'sock' for it) or refit the original airbox, especially if you plan on going paddling again.

M

·
0 Posts
Original filter airbox combo on a diesel is likely better than any cone anyway, I'd swap back ;)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Original filter airbox combo on a diesel is likely better than any cone anyway, I'd swap back ;)
Not necessarily so, in my experience with a cone filter (on a GSR induction kit) fitted in my previous Fiat Stilo JTD.
It was tested on the rolling road at Red Dot and there were improvements across the board, the induction pipe and filter alone gave a not insignificant gain of just under 4hp on the rollers but the old girl sure seemed to 'spool up' very much faster than it did before. That 4hp gain before mapping is not bad for a cone filter and some silicone tubing!

However, although the induction noise was 'stimulating' fear of deep puddles and sucking old grannies off their feet and into the the induction pipe saw me refit the standard airbox with a K&N filter fitted. Noise went down and there was a wee drop in performance - but not much and the plus side was the car attracted significantly less attention than it had before ;)

I considered the BMC CDA kits but never bothered trying one out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts