Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Another Alfa is added to the family!

Tags
added family
475 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  braddersR 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

Having trawled through this site many a time to try and get some quick fixes for various issues I've had with my ongoing list of Alfa's, I thought it was about time I registered and maybe even give some help and advice in return for the less technically minded amongst us :lol:

My latest set of Alfa wheelage is a 2000 156 2.4 jtd with 115k on the clock and a nice little list of "typical" issues that I'm working on.

They are as follows:

1/ Acceleration hesitancy (EGR/MAF/split pipes)
2/ Gear lever neutral spring action (cleaning & greasing linkages)
3/ Braking vibration (Warped discs)
4/ Wallowing & clunking over potholes (worn/broken wishbone)
5/ Oil in engine bay (Leaking rocker cover gasket)

That should do for a start anyway. If anyone has any advice on any of the above then please do let me know.

Cheers:thumbs:

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
#6 ·
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

I'm a vvv happy bunny today after following some of the advice/info on here.

Before I start on the up-date, I must just say that I haven't "sold out" to the oil burning ilk of thought, it's just that I do 4-5k a month with my new job and the maths works out to be a real positive, just in case there's anyone that thinks Alfa diesels aren't "true" Alfa's, they still have the spirit, style and expense that is the joys of owning such a fab car!

My hesitancy problems with acceleration have now been sorted after a really good clean of the MAF and it now goes like a real rocket:thumbs: and actually puts my last 146 ti (R.I.P.:cry: )to shame. But all this knowledge of how to clean it was thanks to posts on here. I just have one word of advice, please be careful when releasing the Torx screws as mine were severely rusted and just broke off when I tried to unscrew them. An inventive and totally non-standard repair had to be implemented until I can aquire a new air filter housing box, so be warned!!!

Having spent some serious time looking through the many threads about warped brakes and potential solutions, I decided that I'd have nothing to lose if I tried one train of thought on trying to solve the problem (of course the cheapest), which was to drive as fast as possible and brake like a moron (from 80-90) to try and remove a potential build up of brake pad residue that could have been caused by sitting at a stop with hot brakes with the foot brake on.

Low and behold, after 2 attempts at trying this rather nerve racking excercise (braking really hard from 80-0, at least the ABS has been tested) it has cleared the vibration from my braking - I must admit it's cheaper than a new set of discs and pads :thumbs: :thumbs: Thanks for the many people that posted that solution.

I've now found and ordered a rocker cover gasket for just £5.99 from my local trusted and, let's face it, advised auto factor company Allwoods of LIncoln/Newark. You wouldn't believe how had it is to find a good parts supplier in Lincolnshire for Alfa's!

So I'll be fitting that next week, but at the moment, like I've said this site is absolutely fabulous and has already saved me the following:

New Bosch MAF £120 (actual cost £4.99 for contact cleaner)
New discs & pads £140 (actual cost - £0 & my heart rate far too high!)

I'm not too confident with replacing the upper wishbone so I'll trust that to my local independant garage "Itallian Car Services - Lincoln" for a cost of £108 fitted & inc VAT, which I don't think is too bad.

I just need some advice on replacing the rocker cover gasket. Anyone have any direct links?

Thanks very much.

#9 ·
welcome to AO :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.