Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just trying to reset my always on red airbag warning light ( car is alfa spider 918 phase 2 on 99 plate ) and using switchable kkl cable, I'M connecting fine and getting an error code which says "

Oc -passenger belt pretension , open circuit /intermittent/present 16

Then underneath it says a few things to do like disconnect battery , disconnect airbag suits etc,
so I click on clear errors and then I click disconnect , then I switch ignition off and then restart engine but the warning light stays on , I've had a look under both seats and can see a yellow plug with what looks like 3 wires but space is too tight under the seats and am unsure of what next ,
any suggestions ?
thanks all ☺

·
Registered
846 Posts
Its indicating a pretensioner issue. Where you put your seatbelt into will be attached to a metal tube (maybe 6-8"long from memory) on the transmission side of the seat with a black plastic cover on top near the belt receptacle. Theres a connection under there for the pretensioner. It may have popped off. If the light has been on since you got the car then the pre-tensioner may have gone off in the past. Inside the metal tube will be a thickish steel cable. If the metal is near the front of the tube it has gone off, if its down at the bottom of the tube it should be okay and its probably a wiring issue.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo-916-GTV-Spider-1998-2005-Seat-Belt-Pretensioner-FRONT-Left-/322080627449?hash=item4afd805af9:g:XeAAAOSwq7dXFmEF

Failing that you will have to lift up the seat to check wiring there. Make sure you disconnect battery............

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
+1 to the pretensioner.
Either the pretensioner itself is open circuit or there is a poor connection in the yellow connector beneath the seat or a poor connection in the yellow connector on top of the pretensioner
Please be aware that the error code is related to a LHD car so the passenger belt will in your case be the driver belt

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, have just disconnected the battery and will remove the drivers seat and have a check, I've noticed the floor seems double skinned and I can't feel any nuts under the floor that the seat bolts go into so hope they are captive nuts .

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Thanks for the replies, have just disconnected the battery and will remove the drivers seat and have a check, I've noticed the floor seems double skinned and I can't feel any nuts under the floor that the seat bolts go into so hope they are captive nuts .
Yes, it is captive nuts that will stay in place when you loosens the bolts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm at the car now and have the drivers seat out and the plug came apart in my hand . Now it's the half of the plug that just has the 2 contacts out and they don't fit in tightly to the purple plug.. also they are wrapped in rubber so can't tell what colour the are but looking at the 2 wires on the other half of the plug they are both brown.. also had a quick look at inside the tensioner and all connections in there look ok .

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After plugging it all back in and starting it up.. used multicuscan and light is off ..too scared to move seat now .

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
only more the seat with the ignition OFFF.:thumbup:
That's how I'll have to do it and not adjust the steering wheel etc etc lol , thanks for all advice and help,
now moved onto next problem , replaced the small box behind the cat and noticed I had a small crack(hole) in downpipe, just been to Halford and bought some exhaust bandage ( nothing like it used to be ) and have put that on but it looks like the wider part just before the cat has 2 vents and allows a bit of exhaust out before the cat,,
is that right ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts