Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As i mentioned in my previous posting i am looking to buy a 156 1.8 or 2.0. A few that i have seen advertised have had there engines relplaced due to belt failure or other faults. Should i steer clear of these cars (excuse the pun!!) or does it really matter. Obvioulsly i realise that milage on previous engine should be checked to see overall mileage of car but are there other things i should be concerned about?

·
Registered
657 Posts
cp1 said:
As i mentioned in my previous posting i am looking to buy a 156 1.8 or 2.0. A few that i have seen advertised have had there engines relplaced due to belt failure or other faults. Should i steer clear of these cars (excuse the pun!!) or does it really matter. Obvioulsly i realise that milage on previous engine should be checked to see overall mileage of car but are there other things i should be concerned about?
Check out what they mean by replaced. Does this mean a new Alfa engine from dealer under warranty, or a scrappy job?

If a new engine, then yes, a good thing to have.

Alfa twin spark engines lose a lof of oil - sadly, people who have as company cars do not check the oils, as don't people not educated by the dealer when they buy them. You then get oil starvation and engine failure in extreme cases.

Basically, check the oil level every week and you should be okay.

Other things to check are the bushes, check how it handles and listen out for any knocks or rattles. An Alfa is one car I would always get an RAC inspection on if you see one you are seriously interested in.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts