Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I intended to start this thread as a presentation of my car(s), but things didn't work out as i planned, because i crashed a couple of days before new year's. Around the same time i had a chance to save another 33 from going to the scrapyard, fully functional but not used at all for 1-2 years.

So i changed my mind and decided to start a pictorial about both cars, i'm gonna repair mine and, hopefully, make a decent trackday car of the other. Both are exactly the same but the color, 33 16v with ABS and rear discs.

That's my 33, before the crash

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc290/spresv/alfa/IMG_0148.jpg
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc290/spresv/alfa/IMG_0160.jpg

Bad news from the crash, besides the bodywork, is that both timming belts have snapped, so expecting quite a bit of damage there, which is a terrible shame, since i did a full engine rebuild around 4 months ago... Instead of replacing the timming belts and turning the engine by hand, which was both unpractical and a bit of unsafe, and since the front section was completely destroyed, i decided to cut it so i could take the engine out for inspection. I'll let the bodyshop worry about what i left behind :lol:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc290/spresv/alfa/DSC00286.jpg

I had my hands kinda full, because i was doing it alone, so couldn't take any more pics. After that, it got a bit dark, and i had work to do, so tomorrow i'm gonna take the heads out, and dive into the good stuff!

Hopefully this week i expect the red one to arrive, so i'll post pics of it's restoration as well.

Thanks for watching :thumbs:
Steve

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, i hope they are only bent, and they haven't damaged the heads themselves...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hey guys

Odd sight when i removed the plastic covers today. Only one belt has snapped, and it got tangled up under the other. As it turns out, the head with the snapped belt had 2 inlet valves very slightly bent, and the other one 4 heavily bent, and counting. Two of the pistons took a slight hit, you think i should remove and check them? With the heads off, engine runs smoothly by hand.

I'm gonna replace all 16 since the engine is out, no chances there.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Thats the problem with 16v. On slight cambelt failure and you have to repuilt the engine again. It is a pity since you have just finished one.....

·
Registered
141 Posts
i think you should check/replace the big-end bearings also

most likely they're a bit damaged, or will be within 1000km

i have seen that a lot unfortunately, people come in the workshop with a snapped belt, valves replaced and within 1000km they started rattling
those bearings don't cost a fortune, but if they go and you're to late stopping the engine, the cranck will be damaged also

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did bearings in the last rebuild, around 4 months ago. They weren't expensive, and the old ones were in a pretty decent condition, but since i had the engine on the bench, i replaced the whole set, along with pistons, head skimming (marginal, to clear the head off a blown gasket), bore honing, piston rings, valve guides and stem seals. You think the new bearings got damaged from the bent valves, or you assumed that they were the stock ones, so this would be the push over the edge?

Come to think of it, it's truly amazing how the engine lasted so long. It ran with a thermostat stuck wide open for 4-5 years before the rebuild (don't judge, i wasn't my car back then :lol:)

·
Registered
141 Posts
I did bearings in the last rebuild, around 4 months ago. They weren't expensive, and the old ones were in a pretty decent condition, but since i had the engine on the bench, i replaced the whole set, along with pistons, head skimming (marginal, to clear the head off a blown gasket), bore honing, piston rings, valve guides and stem seals. You think the new bearings got damaged from the bent valves, or you assumed that they were the stock ones, so this would be the push over the edge?

Come to think of it, it's truly amazing how the engine lasted so long. It ran with a thermostat stuck wide open for 4-5 years before the rebuild (don't judge, i wasn't my car back then :lol:)

i'm not sure if this makes sense to ou, excuse my lame english:mad:, but because the pistons have hit the valves, it is likely that from that impact de bigendbearing will have a small damaged spot on it, because of that, the bearing will wear out very quickly.
you can have luck, but i'd think better safe then sorry;)

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
i managed that stunt twice ! bloody timing belts :rant:

I must say, the valves bend extremely easily, so I wouldnt expect the big end bearings to be damaged. I also managed to bend 2 valves about 5 or 6 years ago just by cranking the car. The timing belt was off by two teeth and I wasnt as experienced and careful at the time.
I do have a question though... where on earth did you find the big end bearings ? I've been looking everywhere to finish my 16v rebuild for my sprint !

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Er, the shop that did the heads got them for me, along with the piston rings. They were about 30€, but don't hold me to it, because i paid for the total. Did you find them? If not, i could get you a set (i think :p)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The shop i bought them from was near my mechanic in Patra. Tomorrow i'll do a bit or a research here in Athens, and if i don't find anything, i'll ring him and he'll send you a set directly.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey guys

Progress is painfully slow due to exam period... I disassembled the heads to see the damage. 6 intake valves bent and the corresponding guides are a bit oval now, they need replacement. The second pic is from the good head and the third from the damaged one.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Well , maybe it is time for some tuning. Maybe bigger valves or improve intake flow or something more this time.....

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm thinking a bit of porting, but the budget is kind of tight and I don't think I'm gonna make it. Got a quote for fast road Cat Cams for the 16v though. 720€. Ouch...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally some progress. Second car is here, i came to the conclusion that i'll brake it for spares.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc290/spresv/alfa/DSC00375.jpg

I'll start stripping today. I'll be keeping most of it, but if anyone is missing any bits and pieces feel free to mail me, spresv [at] gmail [dot] com.

Also, brake discs are here, second hand from a 500 SS. Test fit on mine, easy bolt-on job, and they are dead straight. Also, in comparison with the miserable stock discs :lol:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc290/spresv/alfa/DSC00369.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc290/spresv/alfa/DSC00368.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts