Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Alfa 166 Ti, Giulietta Veloce
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I would add my list of tasks needing done to the 166 Ti as others have done on here. I've split it into 3 different priorities and might never get round to doing some of them realistically! Some are more onerous than others. On the urgent list the water leaks look to be screen related so have a local chap coming out next week to take a look at those. I reckon it will require both screens to be removed, resealed and refitted to resolve it. The amount of water ingress into this car has been something else.

Urgent
Replace both rear tyres for MOT
Fix water leak inside – clear drain holes to engine bay and scuttle
Strip out Nokia hands-free kit - think it's causing a drain on the battery

Fix water leak to OSR C pillar - front screen leaking
Fix water leak to OSF A pillar - rear screen leaking
Fix crazy windscreen wipers
Source jack and toolkit
Source jack handle - turns out it was there all along!

Not so urgent
Fit new front discs
Fit new front pads
Fit timing belt & balance belt kit (due June 2021)
Fit new thermostat - old one seems to have given up the ghost
Fit new rocker cover gasket
Fit replacement NSR door lock

Fix wiring to NSR door loom in order to get lock working!
Air only coming through window vents - big concern this one, possibly urgent?
Air con not working
Get spare key posted back up from previous owner
Fit new pollen filter
Fit new air filter
Fit new arm rest lid
Replace damaged OSR door card

Replace gearknob
Replace cubby unit to dashboard
Source & fit drivers door B pillar rubber seal
Source small rubber inlays both rear doors – got one so far!
Source catch on drivers fusebox hatch
Clip to secure engine cover panel
Clip to secure scuttle cover panel

Driver’s headrest seems broken
Clean up/replace rear parcel shelf cubby hole
Replace damaged front passenger door card
Replace water damaged interior C pillar trim
Strip out interior and carpet - dry carpet out & refit

Nice to haves
Investigate why alarm doesn’t work
Source black retaining knob for CD cover in boot
Source missing bolts and fittings for boot carpet
Remount both side skirts
Respray back bumper
Front NS wing needs rust attended to
Fit new Ti wing badges and boot badge
Fit DSP door speakers
Fit DSP amp
Fit DSP loom - hard task on a facelift car
Fit DSP subs
Fit St/steel exhaust

Reactions: ferret-ears

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh nuts, add the minor point of stripping the complete interior and carpet out the car so the carpet can be dried out.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Check your heater matrix isnt leaking as this is a very common problem with these cars and will result in the failure of the transmission ECU as surely as night follows day. Heater matrixes are still available new or were until very recently.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check your heater matrix isnt leaking as this is a very common problem with these cars and will result in the failure of the transmission ECU as surely as night follows day. Heater matrixes are still available new or were until very recently.
Definitely not the matrix, level hasn't changed. Engine bay drain was blocked solid and any coolant from the matrix wouldn't soak the windscreen pillars.

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
Urgent
Source jack and toolkit
Source jack handle
:yikes:😱: Yee of little total recal Remember thon thread ABOUT peculiarities (or similar) of the 166 AND the common consensus was that the 166 mustapha had the wurst tool kit ever to be fitted to an automobile.
AND the worst was the jack handle Better wie Fork Handle OR even 4 candles.

Just get a 1//2 inch racket and 17 mm socket

You ken it makes sense

AND a low lying trolley jack. And a RUG and torch.

Pomeol

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the wurst tool kit ever to be fitted to an automobile.
AND the worst was the jack handle

Just get a 1//2 inch racket and 17 mm socket
Very true. I only wanted one incase of a puncture out on the road, especially with the notorious chocolate Ti alloys!

I'll just throw a socket and ratchet in the boot.

Reactions: Pomeo

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
I have a toolbox with a Halford's 2 tonne trolley jack, breaker bar and old school criss cross wheel brace in mine.
Goodness Scotty, taking out the carpets etc is a complete ball ache....

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's impressive Rory!

This car is a complete ball ache truth be told and I am probably going to name it such. Some serious questions over repairs done to this car by a previous owner who should know better......

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think I have actually posted pics up for this car yet so feels like a good time to do so now. Needs a wash but generally quite a nice looking 166.

Attachments

Reactions: abecketts and Pomeo

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
That's gorgeous Scotty

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. Be even nicer once I get the indoor swimming pool sorted, as in get rid of all the water ;)

Reactions: Mufasa and Pomeo

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another job off the list today, the Nokia handsfree removed. Some amount of gear went into that and was hidden all over the place. Once all out there was one mystery cable disappearing up behind the ICS which had me stumped. Seemed like a data cable. Luckily it was running up the left side of the ICS and was just 'tucked in' but it led into the glovebox. I had to remove the upper panel inside the glovebox, the one where the boot release button is fitted, and to my surprise was the cradle for a phone. Very handy! No more constant beeping from the little b*****d.

I had to strip out the passenger A-pillar panel to get the aerial cable and hands-free mic out. Noticed there was moisture sitting in there so checked the drivers side too as the panel felt damp (pics attached). Moisture in there too unfortunately. I had a feeling the front screen was leaking and had called a local window guy a couple of weeks back who was supposed to come out and see me last week to take a look at both screens but never showed. Need to prioritise that as the rear screen is really bad.

Attachments

Reactions: Pomeo and Mufasa

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
No more constant beeping from the little b*****d.
Nice one Scotty ...Must resist, really must resist
Oh what the .....Beep beep (Wile E coyitee)

get that Nokia handset on Antiques Roadshow Or Dickinsons Real deal

Pomeo

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:LOL: it was driving me as daft as Wile E Coyote!

It's in the skip.....

Reactions: Mufasa

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, this question seems to continually come up on here and the various FB forums that do the rounds - 'how do I remove the gearknob from a 166'?

In the past when I have removed them from my previous 166s they have simply came off with a bit of brute force by pulling them up. My current 166's knob is sat on the tilt but is badly worn anyway so I have sourced a second hand replacement to swap it out. I have tried pulling the thing off but the leather section has detached from the plastic 'core'. I have tried to get this core off by putting a pair of molegrips underneath it and whacking it with a hammer but it 'aint budging. I reckon some muppet has had it off before and has glued the damn thing back on, and also that's why it is sat at a jaunty angle too. Time to cut it off I reckon!

Anyway, I thought I would post some pics up in the meantime so folk can get an understanding of how the knob is made up and what it looks like underneath. This is for a facelift car (2005) so earlier ones might be different. Out of interest the 6 speed knob for the later cars is the same as the 147 and GT deisels, just incase you are trying to source a second hand one. Much easier to get one from a breaker on those 2 cars than the rarer 166. As you can see from the pics the core has a series of channels which are replicated in the upper section and this determines the position it sits on it. Still can't believe someone put it back on so squint. It really amazes me........

Attachments

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
IF not muppetised and vigin fitting no amount off mole wrench upward removed it BUTT going furra a pint of mulk in the summertime and oft she jolly well came.

BUT thats well stuck on Gentle hacksawing down the shaft and ping screwdriver in to prise open and hopefully off

IIRC its a splined shaft.

Loads of chinese 166 gearknobs on amazon and look a million times better than yours.

Pomeo

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BUT thats well stuck on Gentle hacksawing down the shaft and ping screwdriver in to prise open and hopefully off

IIRC its a splined shaft.
Yep, that's exactly what I am going to do Pom. All the others I've removed have came off fairly easily the hardest part being the game of 'find the spring' afterwards! :LOL:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yep, that's exactly what I am going to do Pom. All the others I've removed have came off fairly easily the hardest part being the game of 'find the spring' afterwards! :LOL:
That bit looks very similar to the one on my old GTV 3.0 V6 I put a new gear knob on. And yes - a Stanley knife, hacksaw & good old brute force was how I got that bit off.

Squadra Sportiva have some very nice & high Alfa quality gear knobs on their website, this is the one I got for my GTV (it says "Giulietta" but its fits lots of Alfa's):

... yes it's flippin expensive for a gear knob (about £95 with delivery from memory) but v high quality, looks great and crucially it was lovely to hold & use (insert appropriate knob jibes here..... :rolleyes: !). If my 166 was a manual I would've bought exactly the same one by now - unfortunately I don't think the Sportronic gearknob is as easily to replace with something similar.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, i like that one and the black version too. Does it just push on like the factory one? Not sure of the set up of the GTV gear knob/shaft.

I bought a genuine Alfa one from the dealer for my last facelift 166 five years ago and it was £120!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yeah, i like that one and the black version too. Does it just push on like the factory one? Not sure of the set up of the GTV gear knob/shaft.

I bought a genuine Alfa one from the dealer for my last facelift 166 five years ago and it was £120!
Yes, it was a very easy fit on the GTV's ..... and coming from a car DIY luddite like me :rolleyes: that's saying something. I seem to remember you simply screw in a grommit at the back of the gearknob which comes with it (in a very nice box by the way) onto the gear shaft & away you go. It was a damn sight easier putting it on than taking off the old one anyway! I actually bought one earlier as well for my very first GTV 3.0 V6 early Phase 1 (5-speed with CF1 engine - best version of the GTV IMO).

Likewise I'm not 100% sure if it's the same set-up on the 166 as the GTV. But both are "lift-up-and-pull" to select reverse so I presume this gearknob will therefore fit the 166. Just send them email / give them a call - they were excellent customer service when I dealt with them (y).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts