Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone i want to buy a 156 1.6 or 1.8. I've heard a lot of people saying that they break down. Anyone who can enlighten me with this? Also what are the main issues to look at?

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
You’d be better posing this question in the 147, 156 and GT lounge. ‘A lot of people’ you say,
how many of those have had direct experience of the 156 and how much of what they state is hearsay?

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
All older cars can break down, but it mostly depends on how they are looked after.

Reactions: Nickgts

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
Often the cars which are regarded as the most reliable are the worst.

The Mk4 and 5 Golf from the same period were riddled with issues, as were Mercedes (and don't forget the rust). BMW 4 cylinder petrol engines from the time were also terrible.

No one seems to mention those issues.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Brilliant cars....but getting on a bit.
This, ive had a 147 and two GTs.

The 147 wasnt trouble free, but was priced accordingly, and for what i spent on it over two years i certainly couldnt have had a golf of similar vintage and luxury, and a golf needs tires and a battery too every now and then. And honestly, i owe that car a lot of my current freedom

The first GT was a good bit better, the only issues were regular wear, and for a car with ~150k miles on the clock, it was brilliant, and still below Golf money

The second GT was an unloved V6, and while the V6 was brilliant, it did show that proper care can make or break a car like that.

Find yourself a well-loved 156 and keep on top of the usual foibles (oil usage, front upper suspension arms and bottom rust) and you will have a brilliant car

·
Registered
37,974 Posts
The need for care and attention probably varies by the country where it’s run as does the used price?

·
Registered
749 Posts
The need for care and attention probably varies by the country where it’s run as does the used price?
Absolutely, used car prices over here in the netherlands are much higher then in the UK for instance. I would also immagine a country with less snow and salt on the roads would produce less rusty cars. The front upper wisbones will wear more with a more bumpy road surface and speedhumps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here they start from 600€ but they are beat up for good ones you should spend at least 1500 to 2000.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Here they start from 600€ but they are beat up for good ones you should spend at least 1500 to 2000.
Sounds decent, and i would expect less rust in greece, do look for a later model though, and make sure you inspect the underside carefully anyway.

Engine-wise, id steer clear of the JTS, and go for a well-kept 1.8, make sure it has had its timing belt done (interval is 3 years or 60k km, which ever is first)

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Engine-wise, id steer clear of the JTS
As a former owner of a JTS, so would I. It was designed to run leaner to improve economy. Mine fried two head gaskets and a number 3 coil. (Apparently number 3 cylinder is at the hottest point).

·
Registered
749 Posts
As a former owner of a JTS, so would I. It was designed to run leaner to improve economy. Mine fried two head gaskets and a number 3 coil. (Apparently number 3 cylinder is at the hottest point).
I had a JTS in a GT, and that was a brilliant engine once i got used to the torque curve (was used to the much more high end power curve of a TS), but it had had a major overhaul including fixes to deal with the oil consumption etc.. I wouldnt have even looked at it otherwise. And the JTS engines in the 156 were an earlier version AFAIK, with perhaps more issues.

It is definitely possible to have a good JTS, but the easiest way for that is to get one which has had a rebuild and various modifications done by a garage who knows what they are doing with the specific JTS engine. Hence i would advise anyone to just steer clear and get a TS, they have their foibles as well, but are a much more known quantity, and AFAIK the 156 has the CF2 version, which doesnt have the oil drinking issues all CF3s (in the 147/GT) have, and as such should be pretty easy to run daily.

·
Registered
2010 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4, 2003 Alfa Romeo GTV Phase 3 JTS
626 Posts
I'd say the 156 to get is the 1.9 JTDM or 2.4, more economical and powerful than the petrol engines. As for Alfas in general, I daily drive a £300 GTV, and it has needed bushings and a radiator.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd say the 156 to get is the 1.9 JTDM or 2.4, more economical and powerful than the petrol engines. As for Alfas in general, I daily drive a £300 GTV, and it has needed bushings and a radiator.
The diesels where never sold here and the government is about to ban them in city center where i live. Also i cant import one from Germany or Italy due to euro 3 or lower cars got banned to import.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Not all CF3 engines drink oil. Mine in a GTV doesn’t and the one in the 147 we had didn’t either.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I'd also say don't get a 156 in 2021 as they are very old cars now. Especially if your first question is whether a 20 odd year old car is reliable.

Go towards a 159 or Giulietta unless you've got the dedication to spend time and or money looking after a 156. If you're in the market for a 1.6 or 1.8 it suggests than you might not be... A cheap 156 now is going to need work to keep it going, too many things to easily list.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
I'd also say don't get a 156 in 2021 as they are very old cars now. Especially if your first question is whether a 20 odd year old car is reliable.

Go towards a 159 or Giulietta unless you've got the dedication to spend time and or money looking after a 156. If you're in the market for a 1.6 or 1.8 it suggests than you might not be... A cheap 156 now is going to need work to keep it going, too many things to easily list.
Yep.. current creeping rust on my 18yo 156 is gonna finish her off sooner or later....and I will be gutted when it happens :cry:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I've shelled out a small fortune getting the floor pan, front drivers/off side sill and right now the rear drivers/off side is being re-built and sprayed...

It's a bit late in the day but my 156 will barely see rain and sleep in a garage now. I'll rub down and rust treat the underside this Summer too. Hopefully that'll halt any major rust.

Personally I believe the 156 rusts the most on the near side front and off side rear corners as they are furthest away from the car's heat sources. There's almost nothing along where the exhaust lives...

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
I've shelled out a small fortune getting the floor pan, front drivers/off side sill and right now the rear drivers/off side is being re-built and sprayed...

It's a bit late in the day but my 156 will barely see rain and sleep in a garage now. I'll rub down and rust treat the underside this Summer too. Hopefully that'll halt any major rust.

Personally I believe the 156 rusts the most on the near side front and off side rear corners as they are furthest away from the car's heat sources. There's almost nothing along where the exhaust lives...
Yep it's the driver's side with me too... it's a shame.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts