Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else get annoyed about this? Everytime I clean my car, there always seems to be water 'trapped' behind the door mirrors (in the door mirror enclosure) so that when I close the door, the water runs down the side of the door and spoils my lovely clean paintwork. Worse still, when I drive off (sometimes the next morning), I get water spray down the side of the front and rear door and side windows :irked: As much as I try and get a cloth behind the glass, there's always some water left there.

If you've experienced this, have you found a solution? Or maybe I should just chillout and have a :beer:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes I know exactly what you mean annoys me too.

luckily I happen to have quite a steeply sloped driveway so I now park facing upwards this not only allows the water to drain from the mirror casings but also from the boot gutters

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I've invested in a DI Vessel for this very reason. Solved the problem completely and speeded up the cleaning process too.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I use a pet dryer off Ebay, cost about £40 but gets all the trapped water out of everywhere, actually use it for the whole car and can get it dry in about 15 minutes.

Everyone in the street thinks I am a raving loony mind when I blow dry my car, but it means I also don't get Halloweeners and carol singers knocking on my door, Result!!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
It drives me nuts too. Before polishing the car I blow on the bottom edge of the mirrors to try and get the majority of the water out.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It drives me nuts too. Before polishing the car I blow on the bottom edge of the mirrors to try and get the majority of the water out.
Me too but there's always some water left behind. I think that's what ruins the mirror glass too. Already replaced the nearside and the offside is starting to look tatty around the edges.

C

·
0 Posts
I normally feed the edge of a honeycomb drying towel or chamois into the gap between housing and glass, capillary action draws the water out.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Fold some kitchen towel/paper and slide it in when you've got the car dry.

Or use a drinking straw, I'll leave you to decide whether to suck or blow.:lol:

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I use paper towel in the mirror casing too, and I also use it to draw the last of the water that pools at the bottom of the rear hatch glass. I blow around the rear light clusters to remove the water that sits in there......passers by probably think it's odd :paperbag:

·
Registered
194 Posts
......passers by probably think it's odd :paperbag:

My neighbours, and no doubt the passers-by think I'm odd cos I wash my own car every 2 or 3 weeks and dont leave it up the local car wash cowboys :irked:

I cant remember the last time I saw anyone else in my road washing their own car..... :thinking:

C

·
0 Posts
passers by probably think it's odd :paperbag:
I live on a main road, my house is set back with a large shingle forecourt. Cars slow down to see what I am doing when I cover the car in snow foam. Pedestrians have even stopped and asked me what I am doing!!

Maybe it it not a well known thing in West Sussex????

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
My neighbours, and no doubt the passers-by think I'm odd cos I wash my own car every 2 or 3 weeks and dont leave it up the local car wash cowboys :irked:

I cant remember the last time I saw anyone else in my road washing their own car..... :thinking:
2-3 weeks?!!!!!

I'd die if i left mine that long!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Mine gets done twice a week...
I don't drive it a lot when it's raining (I have the luxury of an oldish run-about to use most days for work) so it doesn't get too filthy from driving in the rain. If the weather's been dry and it's accumulated a layer of dust/dirt I find that the next time it gets rained on, it cleans off quite well because it's always got a good layer of wax on it. But if it doesn't rain for a week or so, I will give it a wash to get rid of said layer of dust/dirt!

The wheels, on the other hand, 'cos of the charcoal-grade material in the brake pads, get filthy after only a few miles of use, so I often wash the wheels in between full car washes.

In an ideal world I'd get round to washing it a couple of times a week but her indoors would have something to say about that.... as she does when it's just once every couple of weeks! :argue:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Would one of those compressed air spray cans used for cleaning keyboards be a way of blowing out the water? It's something that annoys me too btw.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts