Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys

Recently changed the front side light bulb and all was good for a while.
However now whenever I brake it comes up with the 'side light failure' on the info screen. The light is definitely working and so if I turn the lights on it then comes up with 'brake light failure' which again they are working.
As you can imagine the beeping noise everytime I brake is driving me mental.
Any advice would be great

·
Registered
24 Posts
Check the connections on the rear light plug, a dodgy earth pin is a fairly common cause of this issue

·
Administrator
46,726 Posts
I think you should be looking at the back too. Maybe the front you changed is a coincidence.

Does the 147 have those combined brake and side light bulbs at the back?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sorry didn't make clear in first post it was the front side bulb I changed :jester:
I gathered that but the 'brake light failure' points toward rear light cluster. The rear lights all share the same earth pin which is a common cause of this issue.
The front side light change may be irrelevant, though I understand your thought. It's a quick check anyway, just open flap in boot to access rear light plug, pull the plug off and see if any pins look even remotely correded

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I gathered that but the 'brake light failure' points toward rear light cluster. The rear lights all share the same earth pin which is a common cause of this issue.
The front side light change may be irrelevant, though I understand your thought. It's a quick check anyway, just open flap in boot to access rear light plug, pull the plug off and see if any pins look even remotely correded
Thanks for your reply. I have absolutely no understanding on anything car related but I'm sure even I can do this job :thumbup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I have absolutely no understanding on anything car related but I'm sure even I can do this job :thumbup:
No worries. I had the same with my silver GTA maybe 9 months ago, drove me mad as like you said all lights worked OK. Had a look at the plug after finding info online somewhere and the earth pin had a layer of white deposit on it. Once scraped off with a knife it seems to have sorted it.
The error message on screen should say which side as well.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had a check of the rear lights, all looked OK, think I'm going to kill it if it beeps at me anymore :depressed:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK guys I actually managed to fix this all by myself for once! :biglaugh:

I firstly I brought new brake/side bulbs for the rear as this was suggested to be the problem. I un bolted the casing replaced bulbs. I noticed on the white clip there was some black crust and 2 of the pins had gone inwards so therefore not making a connection. I cleaned off the crust, pulled the pins out a bit and hey presto so far all is good.

Thanks for the advice to those who gave some :thumbup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
No worries buddy, glad it was simple and easy :thumbup:

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
OK guys I actually managed to fix this all by myself for once! :biglaugh:

I firstly I brought new brake/side bulbs for the rear as this was suggested to be the problem. I un bolted the casing replaced bulbs. I noticed on the white clip there was some black crust and 2 of the pins had gone inwards so therefore not making a connection. I cleaned off the crust, pulled the pins out a bit and hey presto so far all is good.

Thanks for the advice to those who gave some :thumbup:
What about those of us that didn't? We need recognition.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have a light failure warning coming up too. My car was recently repaired with a new front right Xenon, but not a GTA one - I had to paint the black bit on the inside of the light - would that cause a warning light? Does the ECU not like non-GTA Xenons? Or could it just be this earthing thing? Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts