Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I've had this oil leak on my GT for the past 3 years and thus far no garage has been able to find the culprit..

The issue comes and goes however I had an oil change about 6 weeks ago and now it's much worse than before.

It looks like the oil is coming out near a hose near the dipstick...

Can anyone take a look (see pics) uploadfromtaptalk1459681840993.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1459681847608.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1459681860668.jpg

and see what action I should take

Thank you !

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Is that the JTD engine?

The first pic (with all the mess!) looks like the top of the air/oil separator for the crankcase breather... It's pretty common to find some lose connections/unions in the area, so could be that coating the area in an oily mist...

Have you had a snoop round the area with the engine running? on a cold day you might see some steam/condensation indicating a possible leak..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
Sorry yes the car is gt jtd.

Thanks for the input

What I presume is a breather hose (centre in pic one is feed off a black disc/ufo shaped thing which I presume is the separator) does feel quite lose, I.e. it moves up and down about 5mm freely..

Do you know the official name for this hose and where I can get a new one ?

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
It's pretty normal for that hose to move up and down by a few mil, mine certainly does!

The cylindrical canister below the hose union is the separator, and that hose is the breather vent that's routed back into the turbo intake.

That UFO thing is the PCV valve I believe, whole hose/valve assembly is on EPER with part number 46817429..

FIAT ePER

I'd start by just popping the hose/union apart and giving it a good clean up.. Might be able to spot something amiss and get a good seal without chucking money at it :thumbup:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi _The_Editor. I checked what you mentioned but couldn't see anything untoward re the separator.

I pulled the hose out and gave it a clean, however something is still leaking..

·
Registered
876 Posts
In the first picture, it looks as though the breather pipe connector (a straight brass tube) is not pushed into the top of the separator properly. This connection is a "push-fit" arrangement like those John Guest plumbing fittings; sometimes the locking ring distorts due to age and degradation, allowing the brass tube to work it's way out. To remove the breather pipe from the separator, you should have to push the lock ring down whilst withdrawing the brass tube. If you can simply pull the pipe off, or if it moves up and down more than 3-4mm, then you will likely require a new separator.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent I can simply pull the pipe off and it does move quite a lot.

A new separator it is then . Looks like a DIY jobbie ?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Any ideas where I can get the part from ?

I got a second hand one off a SAAB. I'm sure the 1.9 Vauxhalls will have similar and easy to find. You should check that the little collar pulls up ok and that all the pipework is clear before you buy one.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
DIY-able job yea, but can be fiddly... I believe there's a fixing that fan only be got any from below, so you'll need to come at it from two angles to release it..

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Fiddly is right. There are 3 bolts holding it to the back of the head. Helps a lot of you know where to grope, because they're hard to access.

Putting them back is amusing, specially that bottom one, but once you use a collar of electrical sticky tape to hold the bolt into a deep socket it becomes feasible.

The undercar connection is the sump end of the oil drain hose from the bottom of the separator, but you can leave that alone and just transfer the top end to the new separator before installing it. There's enough slack to do that.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you ! I'm dropping this off at WAD next week. Fiddly and no time don't go hand in hand.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I'd guess mist from crank breather pipes. Is it black sticky rather than fresh and runny?
Nothing to worry about. Keeps your nuts and bolts in the engine bay from ceasing. If you're are lucky there will be enough oil to protect the floorpan.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah it's definitely from the mist. Problem I have is not the car it's more the drive :(

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Yeah it's definitely from the mist. Problem I have is not the car it's more the drive :(

That sounds a little more runny than sticky. You say this has been present for 3 years but just got worse after an oil change. I'd ignore the breathers and search elsewhere if oil is dripping. Is the filter sufficiently tight?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts