Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there is a problem that's been annoying me more and more for a while and it's how the car reacts to the cruise control inputs. If I increase the speed, as soon as I reach the desired speed and release the stick I get a 1 seconds (or so) shudder from the engine. Does it 9/10 times, and it's pretty annoying. Part of me wants to relate this to other annoyances (like the getting going in first gear). The problem probably exists outside of the cruise control setting, but it's easily repeatable there.
No error codes to help me narrow down the problem. I've cleaned the throttle body and done resets to no avail. Anyone had similar issues?

2011 MA

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
I don't understand what you mean by "release the stick". All you should be doing when reaching the desired speed is give the control a quick upward push, it does not, and should not, need holding in the deflected position while accelerating.

The handbook explains this better than I can

·
Registered
609 Posts
I don't understand what you mean by "release the stick". All you should be doing when reaching the desired speed is give the control a quick upward push, it does not, and should not, need holding in the deflected position while accelerating.

The handbook explains this better than I can
Maybe he's using the stick to get to the desired speed rather than his right foot.

Say from 50 in 6th and turning on the CC and accelerating using the CC .
I never did it this way. I got to 70 and then turned it on to hold the current speed and adjusted as necessary from there.

I cant understand why it would judder if you did it by using the CC to accelerate over a prolonged period of time but maybe this annoys the ecu and fueling system

If this is indeed what youre doing why dont you try it the other way and see how it goes ?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You can, per the manual, do it either way. When first reaching the desired speed, I use the tap to store the speed and cruise at that speed. However, I also use it to increase or decrease the speed slightly (+/-5-10km/h), that sort of thing. There is no reason it should disturb anything as I'm using it exactly as the manual says to:
"Each movement of the stalk corresponds to an increase in speed of about 1 km/h, while keeping the stalk held upwards will continuously increase the speed."
There is general choppiness at lower speeds though. No rough idle or odd sounds. Almost feels like throttle position suddenly changes sometimes.

Instead it's likely not a problem with the cruise control per se but as I mentioned in the OP, an easily repeatable symptom of another problem.

Without anything code-wise to go on, it's hard to make any real guesses which is why I was hoping that anyone had any similar problems in the past.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts