Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
morning,

not long ago i replaced the upper wishbone arm on the 147 because of a "clunking" noise, in the very short term this solved the problem (i think!) however now the problem is back and getting worse.

i am not too clued up on the 147 set up - what methods should i use to check the suspension in order to locate the problem?

any help appreciated !

·
Registered
912 Posts
Did you replace the ARB drop-link also?

If you did, it would be worth checking that it is bolted on tightly (have the car level, not jacked up on one side!)

If you didn't it would be worth replacing both ARB drop links (cheap) and go from there.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Congratulations, welcome to the world of Alfa 147/156/GT suspension knocks. They're a real PITA and could be anyone of a number of things. Upper wishbones tend to cause creaks as the bushes wear/dry out, but it could be the balljoint on the upper WB. However as you've already changed that we can pretty much rule that oou.

There's also the lower wishbone/balljoint, the anti-roll bar drop link or the anti-roll bar itself.

I've changed *all* of the above and I still get the occasional knock, tends to happen when I'm off throttle on slightly uneven surfaces. Although I can't feel any movement, I'm now thinking upper/lower suspension strut mountings.

The joys of Alfa ownership

All the best

Pub

1 - 3 of 3 Posts