Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Every time I hit the brake pedal the Alfa Control (large) red light flashes and the bottom-left graphic illuminates - I think it's some sort of bulb warning light. As soon as you release the brake pedal, both lights go off!

I've checked all the bulbs and they all work fine so not sure why it's suddenly started to do this. Is there anything I can check - bad bulb connections, brake pedal switch or something!

Very annoying problem in an otherwise rare example where all the other electrics work!

Thanks in advance!

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
The 'bottom left' warning light is for side/parking lights. Is that the one? The brake light warning light is the one next to it, labelled 'STOP'.

Have you fiddled with the bulbs recently (eg: changed a bulb)?

Maybe check that the correct bulbs are fitted (ie: single vs dual filament), and that any dual filament bulb is fitted in the correct orientation (not 180 degrees rotated). If they are incorrect, you should notice whether they work properly: that the rear sidelights are low intensity, brake lights are much brighter, and they aren't flicking between high/low when you press the brake pedal.

Check the front side lights too (the ones in the headlight assembly).

If they are all working as intended, there may be a voltage supply issue to the ARC, and you can upgrade the voltage regulator if you are handy with a soldering iron.
REAL fix for ARC blinking lights - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Also check the ground tracks in the rear light assemblies for burn-out damage.
Holy melted taillight board, Batman! - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Let us know how you go.

:)

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

I haven't changed any of the bulbs for ages and we checked all the lights including sidelights. It's definitely the bottom-left icon that illuminates (not the 'STOP' one) but only when you hit the brake pedal. Must be a connection or corrosive wiring issue somewhere. It's really annoying!

I will check the burnout issue or the ARC voltage supply.

Thanks!

·
Registered
138 Posts
check the earth, - I had a similar problem on my twin spark, I soldered a wire on to the bulb holder and bolted it to the rear panel next to the light.
John.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
check the earth, - I had a similar problem on my twin spark, I soldered a wire on to the bulb holder and bolted it to the rear panel next to the light.
John.
Sounds like an idea. With the rear lights on and the right indicator flashing, there is a definite pulsing of the rear tail light in rhythm with the indicator which could suggest an issue.

Where about on the light cluster did you solder a wire to and where exactly did you bolt to? What sort of wire is suitable?

Thanks in advance...

·
7,713 Posts
Yeah, probably a ground issues due to corrosion or a burnt out track.

:)

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
9,339 Posts
When I had a 75 we had a weird issue when you turned the radio on, the fogs would go out! If we think the electrics are fun on the more modern Alfa's the 75 used to excel!

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent - will check it at the weekend.
I soldered an earth wire onto each earth track of the lighting blocks, crimped an eyelet onto the other end of the wire and used a self-tapping bolt to bolt it to the inside of the boot. Straight away, the tail lights stopped pulsing with the indicator and I think it's fixed the control unit traumas too so a very good suggestion there!

I think it could be key to fixing a number of problems which arise with the control unit.

Will report back if any further issues!

·
7,713 Posts
Good result. :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts