Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking advantage of the Christmas offer, I have booked my 156 JTD 20v to have an Angel remap done at my workplace, along with a filter.

I'll be having a power check done at my local friendly RR before and after for some figures.

I'm looking forward to the promised 40bhp and 10% increase in economy...

I'll update with some figures when I have them.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well had the "before" power run done and, acknowledging all the caveats associated with rolling road power figures, its quite encouraging.

Max power of 181bhp and 296lb ft torque.

This is on a well-maintained, 82k mile engine running on Shell V-power.

Let's see what the figures are next Thursday...

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well just had the remap done and while lunchtime in Swanley doesn't lend itself to full-bore acceleration tests, the throttle response is fantastic! It feels like my V6 did. The computer's mpg figures were also ridiculously higher, but a more quantitative measurement of that will come in time. As will the power figure, on Thursday.

So far, very pleased!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it feels fantastic. I'll pre-empt the RR session on Thursday by guessing the outright power hasn't increased by a huge amount, but the torque curve feels flatter than a witches whatsits. There is little turbo lag now it just pulls from about 1250rpm, hard right up to 4500.
Computer recorded fuel consumption is also higher, but I'll reserve judgement on that till I can do a proper tank check.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Angel tuning mapped my car in January 2007 (156 JTD 1.9 115bhp), and nearly five years and 60,000 miles later it is still going as strong as ever. They did a great job, the power was up a good bit but the big difference was the increase in torque, it was astonishing. Fuel economy is no better than it was but it's no worse either, but part of that could be the way the car is driven, even after almost five years I'm still impressed by it. Be warned, you will have to replace both your intercooler hoses, I didn't see 12 months out of mine after the remap but uprated ones prevented that from happening again.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
personally I would eat my hat if you get a 40% increase. I've never heard of an angel map making its target bhp figure, although I wait to be proven wrong.

best of luck!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The results are in and according to the RR, max bhp is 204 and torque is up to 311.

Not stunning figures, but a good increase and importantly, the torque curve is bigger everywhere so the all-important "area under the graph" is much bigger.

Can't post pics at work so I'll put up the graphs later, although he used the wrong "before" curve so I'll get that changed next week.

Not bad for a couple of hundred quid!

I'll keep an eye on the intercooler hoses.

I don't think they claim 40% increases!!!

·
Vendor
45,810 Posts
BHP increase is fairly low at 23 and an increase of 15 lb/ft isn't great at all, especially considering you got a new air filter (K&N?) at the same time. They quote 40bhp and 60 lb/ft gains on the website!
Don't know what the before figures are though, so it's hard to make a judgement.

EDIT: oh, hang on, we do know :lol:

·
Vendor
45,810 Posts
The f40 6speed box is rated to 300lbft (400nm) so go steady. Use the lower gears and let it rev rather than loading it up in a high gear at low revs.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well had the "before" power run done and, acknowledging all the caveats associated with rolling road power figures, its quite encouraging.

Max power of 181bhp and 296lb ft torque.

This is on a well-maintained, 82k mile engine running on Shell V-power.

Let's see what the figures are next Thursday...

I guess that explains that then :lol:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts