Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had any recent experience of them?

Have just had an email from them, with a rather tempting offer....

"To celebrate Christmas 2011, Angel Tuning are offering a huge £100 discount between 12th and 31st December.
This applies to both our mobile service which would normally cost £250.00 and our Banbury outlet service, where the tuning of your 147 would normally be charged at £235.00.

Make:
Alfa Romeo
Model:
Engine:
3.2 GTA
Year:
Std BHP:
250bhp
Std Torque:
241lb ft
Postcode:
CA3 0AB
Quoted:
12/06/2009
Here are the details we have for you and your car, if these are incorrect in any way, please let us know so we can amend them.*
The expected improvements for your vehicle are 16bhp and 18lb ft with an improvement of 10-12% on your fuel economy.
*"

So thats a map done on your doorstep for £150??

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
+1

·
Administrator. ?? ?? Devoid of gorm.
7,610 Posts
It seems that many folk appear to have quite strong opinions on tuning companies.

I believe that some are justifying the decision that they have made when choosing which to use or are repeating what's been said by rival tuners. Some have indeed had negative experiences. I know that for some, the angel remap has not suited their cars and they have had the maps removed.
But then I've heard the same about remaps from other tuners too. (not mentioning any names)
I know one one case in particular where a much more expensive map from a reknowned Alfa remapping supplier also did not suit the car, and an angel map was installed to make the car drivable again.

There are many of this kind of story about.

(It's a very competitive business.)

From my own first hand experience, I decided to try angel. (based on positive experiences from fellow AO members)

For me, the remap is great. I'm very happy. It's transformed the car.

I know I could have spent more and got something supposed to be 'slightly better', but for me, there's no need for that additional outlay.
The other good thing about it was that Angel would have put everything back to original settings for free within 14 days if I didn't like it (returning all the dosh paid)....and would still support if I was not happy after the 14 days, although some costs would be incurred. Can't say fairer than that.

The doing on your doorstep is also very convenient too.

I'm not going to subscribe to the habit of dissing other tuners as I don't know how good they are....I've only used the one and can only tell you the result of that.

So for me, based on the risk, and the outlay, and the gains, I think that angel is worth a look.

But again, I stress that this is based only on my own experience. Others may say completely opposite or have different experiences.

I hope this information is of some use to you.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks halibut.
I did a search and a couple of people mentioned they knew a couple who had a the angel map removed but then no one came forward to say who it was, also in the same thread there was a couple who say they loved there map and had no issues.

Has the fuel economy improved then? As my current gta doesnt seem anywhere near as good on fuel and maybe not as punchy as i remember my last one (though i have just come from a 409lbs/ft mazda 3 mps )
The gta i have did have a autodelta supercharger kit on very breifly and mapped so will prob have a autodelta map on as it said in advert which might be the reason?!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
For £150 you can't really go wrong. It is not as if they haven't mapped GTA's before.

I paid a fair bit more for a custom map and I doubt there will be a huge difference between drivability and performance for you going for the less expensive option.

·
Registered
379 Posts
As I see it if they offer a money back gaurentee then go for it. Most do. I doubt the figures will be accurate. A propper remap from one of the top tuning places maybe looking at those figures, but doubtful they would. But it's less than half so... And I'm sure a gta standard torque is only around 220/230.. It's going to improve it tho so go for it. And all this about remaps improving mpg. I just don't see it. Had a few cars mapped, different makes and never found an improvement. Going to try and get mine on the rollers soon speaking of maps, see what Gus's Is doing!

G

·
0 Posts
My preference would always be for a custom map on a rolling road, for which you will pay 300 to 400. But you pays your money and you takes your choice.

Regards,

Nigel

·
Premium Member
42,855 Posts
Following on from what Halibut has said.... I've only had one remap from one supplier (Angel Tuning) and was completely satisfied with the service.

There was an underlying problem with the car that was very subtle and almost unnoticeable. After the map was put on it brought this problem to light.
Angel Tuning were first class in their approach in identifying the issue and I would highly recommend them :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Jamier, could you forward the email on to me by any chance? (edit: don't worry, have contacted them) have used angel before on my diesel 147 1.9, and it unlocked the beast... totally transformed it. Very good experience. For that sort of money, it's very tempting..

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Just spoke to them and for £360 (£100 off each) they'll come and do my old mans 335d, and the 147 GTA.. mmmMmm

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
My 156 2.4Jtd came with a Angel re-map when I bought it.Had a new clutch and Q2 fitted and was told by the guy who fitted it that map was a bit extreme.
So contacted Angel who came out and checked it out,he plugged his laptop in and found it was fine.
Then started looking at the intake side of things and found the guy who had the car before me had made a plasticcover to fit behind the bottom grill in front of the bmc induction pipe ,this of course affected the airflow and had been missed by myself and the chap who did the clutch.(It was made to stop water going up the intake).
We took it off and went for a drive it, was quicker and a smoother delivery of power.
problem solved he didn't charge me for coming to do it.

And considering I didn't purchase the map off him, I found him very helpful.

The map is fine and I have no problems with Angel tuning.
Mind you don't think it is right a moderator should be slating them that way!!!

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
I'm not a moderator. Not slating just saying I wouldn't use them for a GTA, fine for diesels probably.

Every GTA I have seen on a rolling road is different. They require a custom map IMO to get the most of our of them.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I'm not a moderator. Not slating just saying I wouldn't use them for a GTA, fine for diesels probably.

Every GTA I have seen on a rolling road is different. They require a custom map IMO to get the most of our of them.
Thats fine now that you have explained yourself,but to say "I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole" is a bit ott.Unless you are speaking from experience.:tut:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
They do really require a custom map - again you pay for what you get!

I've been in the Italian car field for 8 years and from speaking to many, many people I would not use Angel Tuning.

The car may feel completely different as the torque curve is flattened out over a wider spread of RPMs, but realistically on many cars - they are expecting 10-15bhp improvement from N/A Remap Tuning, go to a rolling road and the car is 2bhp up or sometimes even down on standard.

BHP gain is not the full story, obviously there is the benefit of improved fuel economy etc.....but I've heard many mixed things about Angel tuning and being an enthusiast only chose places which come in generally very highly regarded all round (as much as possible).

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
go to a rolling road and the car is 2bhp up or sometimes even down on standard.
Could this not be due to the fact that the car was down on standard anyway, before the remap? Or are you talking about direct comparisons between RR before and after?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Could this not be due to the fact that the car was down on standard anyway, before the remap? Or are you talking about direct comparisons between RR before and after?
They do really require a custom map - again you pay for what you get!

I've been in the Italian car field for 8 years and from speaking to many, many people I would not use Angel Tuning.

The car may feel completely different as the torque curve is flattened out over a wider spread of RPMs, but realistically on many cars - they are expecting 10-15bhp improvement from N/A Remap Tuning, go to a rolling road and the car is 2bhp up or sometimes even down on standard.

BHP gain is not the full story, obviously there is the benefit of improved fuel economy etc.....but I've heard many mixed things about Angel tuning and being an enthusiast only chose places which come in generally very highly regarded all round (as much as possible).
Did a rolling road on my car before the Remap and it was down a couple of bhp from standard (still not bad for a 9 year old car)

Took it to Gus at Alfatune and he took it from 216 to 235bhp with an increase in torque.
But leaving figures aside its how the car feels and the response is instantaneous now and flows smoothly throughout the gears.
It now drives the way it should have been designed to.

Have I gained any mpg ? Doubt it.
Sorry to busy enjoying the V6 to care !!

I read enough of Angel prior to making a decision (both forum, magazine and friendly feedback) to make me think why settle for less for my car.
I wanted it done right and first time and the cost was not excessively greater than the Angel costs.

Everyone will make their own mind up in the end.
Guidance is good and useful and it seems Angel has got some positive comments here.
For me Gus had positive comments everytime and thats the difference.

Alan

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Very much so,just because my car is supposed to have 150bhp as standard it doesn't mean it has!
Look at the jts claimed 165bhp most people struggle to get near that figure. When I bought my Alfa it was claimed over 200bhp by the seller in fact it has 192bhp.
So exact figures are out the window as there are too many variable's.

And you may have noticed Angel Tuning do not have the time to comment.Because their far to busy in fact I have just booked my Wife's A6 diesel to be done and I am confident with their work!

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
With a n/a I'd go for a custom map myself as there's so little gains to be had and I'd want to get the most out of a remap. For a cheap and cheerful diseasel remap, I'd probably go for it at that price.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts