Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After Christmas, when my mobile contract expires I'm going to get an android phone. This apparently gives me access to umpteen million android apps. Which is nice.

However, are there any that are actually useful?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Search for the old thread we started a while back and ask for it to me moved into the tech lounge... ;)

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
If you subscribe to PocketGPS.com they have a pretty good Android app.

Google translate on a smartphone is pretty breathtaking. Speak into it in one language, get text or spoken output back in another.

Any number of newsfeeds, banking apps, GPS and mapping apps, games and of course Tapatalk for reading AO.

Unlike Apple, Google are a bit more flexible about who gets to sell on their app store, so while that's good for amateur developers, it does bring a slightly higher risk that malware will get onto the store. Google will chuck such stuff off as soon as they notice, so best bet is not to download anything that's only just become available and doesn't have a reasonable feedback score.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Yes. I have many but at the moment Torque (lite) is pretty nifty if you have a Bluetooth ODBII connector.

There are tons of apps for free. Move over iPhone.

·
Registered
245 Posts
had android for nearly 2 years now, installed torque but didnt get the obd2 con to go with it, how accurate is the data from it..? ie speed, bhp, torque, rpm, etc...?

have ordered a ebay obd2 connector now, just waiting for it to arrive..

btw, what phone are you looking at getting...? i'm on a htc desire atm, but looking at the sensation xe, and one of them cheapo tablets to use as my head unit when i get my arse into gear, and work out the intricacies of getting sound to the speakers...

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
had android for nearly 2 years now, installed torque but didnt get the obd2 con to go with it, how accurate is the data from it..? ie speed, bhp, torque, rpm, etc...?

have ordered a ebay obd2 connector now, just waiting for it to arrive..

btw, what phone are you looking at getting...? i'm on a htc desire atm, but looking at the sensation xe, and one of them cheapo tablets to use as my head unit when i get my arse into gear, and work out the intricacies of getting sound to the speakers...
Some of the info is a little misleading. In the settings (I only have the Torque Lite [free] version) it asks for vehicle engine size for MPG calculations and I am not sure why it needs this. The weight of my car is around 1365Kg's I think. Now I have not as of yet tested the trip comp. against full to full but the readout on the app suggests 23mpg when the real time reading on the trip comp. is about 43mpg! I really do not believe the app.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Android is a software stack for mobile devices that includes an operating system, middleware and key applications. The Android SDK provides the tools and APIs necessary to begin developing applications on the Android platform using the Java programming language. Android will ship with a set of core applications including an email client, SMS program, calendar, maps, browser, contacts, and others. All applications are written using the Java programming language. one is there are lots of feature in Android than iPhone, and also Google made the Android, so there is no reason for us not to choose Android, we all know that Google made a lot of very useful products. Android phones are really slick now so getting an android is a good idea. Android includes a set of core libraries that provides most of the functionality available in the core libraries of the Java programming language.
Features
1.Application framework enabling reuse and replacement of components
2.Dalvik virtual machine optimized for mobile devices
3.Integrated browser based on the open source WebKit engine
4.Optimized graphics powered by a custom 2D graphics library; 3D graphics based on the OpenGL ES 1.0 specification (hardware acceleration optional)
5.SQLite for structured data storage
6.Media support for common audio, video, and still image formats (MPEG4, H.264, MP3, AAC, AMR, JPG, PNG, GIF)
7.GSM Telephony (hardware dependent)
8.Bluetooth, EDGE, 3G, and WiFi (hardware dependent)
9.Camera, GPS, compass, and accelerometer (hardware dependent)
10.Rich development environment including a device emulator, tools for debugging, memory and performance profiling, and a plugin for the Eclipse IDE

1 - 17 of 17 Posts