Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Concerns on the steering wheel controls mostly have been clarified.

Concerns on the steering wheel controls have mostly been clarified.

Pure Android 4.2.2 Car DVD for Alfa Romeo 159 GPS Navigator Radio USB SD Stereo Audio Video Player Multimedia Central Headunit-in Car DVD from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Hi here is how the conversation went: Start from bottom to top.

Me

04:22 Mar 03,2015

o ok. thanks.

AiRoad Technology

04:10 Mar 03,2015

the steer wheel control was controled by a canbus decoder box, it was included in the package.

Me

04:09 Mar 03,2015

do you provide the steering wheel connector on the navigation unit side for the alfa romeo 159?

AiRoad Technology

03:38 Mar 03,2015

canbus works.
the connector is special one.

Me

02:56 Mar 03,2015

Hi can bus steering wheel controls.

22:17 Dec 28,2014

Hi
What plug/interface do you use to connect the steering wheel controls to the Headunit?

Hope this clears things up.
Ciao

·
Registered
865 Posts
So Nicus......presuming you have bought it and fitted it to a 159/Brera/Spider, how easy a fit was it, was it simply plug and play or more involved ?
More to the point, is it any good ?
Im interested in the Apple version not Android but the HU is the same sizewise.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
I ve got a very similar one one in my car (there are 8 manufacturers of these types of these K3066 headunits), its very good for the money and way better than what you get from the established manufacturers. Sound quality is pretty good and can be enhanced by rooting and installing Viper4Android, this gives massive control over audio output.

AiRoad is not the manufacturer, they are a seller. I m surprised to see it is still Android 4.2.2 though, as 4.4.4 has been available for several months.

Just watch your speakers, this is a KGL type and they have been known to blow speakers :-/

Theres no Apple version, there is a Pioneer Apple Car Play unit, buts its totally unrelated, more expensive and nowhere near as flexible or versatile, just like the Parrot Asteriod - youre very limited in the apps you can use and the things you can do with them.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Taking the plunge next week after some cash come loose.
The thing I like is the fact you park and update your whole radio via wifi. Thanks for the viper4android recommendation. I believe having a newer version of android might hamper the performance of the CPU when having too many necessary high resource apps like Tomtom,Torque and dash-cam recordings whilst keeping the Operating system running smoothly.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Not tried it but know a fair bit about it. Its got a high spec and there is some custom firmware, but the MCU is a not that well developed, RDS is not working yet and it only has 2 audio outs.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spoke to seller and he's willing to send it with 4.4.4 as it's in the late development stages and their not getting any bug so far. This one is single dinn double dinn facia so there wouldn't be any major relocations like with the complete double dinn unit. I must admit the price is a bit steep but it just might be the best OEM looking unit out there.

Stumbled upon a forum HuiFei - 2 DIN Pure Android 4.2.2/4.4.2/4.4.… | Android Development and Hacking | XDA Forums after Typos comment on it being a KGL type unit and the general census seams it's a good unit and there is development from consumer and company which you rarely get from a Chinese company.

It also addresses issues you might have concerning the hardware.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Thats the same as the one mentioned above, just from a different seller, only one company makes them for 159s, KGL.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The one you mentioned being cheaper. I'm still waiting for a reply. I really hope the can bus interface box is included. If it's cheaper I'm happy to take the knock as shipping to South Africa is killing me.

·
Registered
229 Posts
As typos1 mentioned they should be the same as there's only one manufacturer bothering with alfas. Sometimes the listings differ because these are juat sellers, often they have no clue what they are selling.
Should be just the same package.
I was thinking about the newsmy one which also has a strong xda community, but given that you need a fascia kit (close to 100 euros extra) and can bus adapter etx, the price will be more. It's 7", quad core with 2GB ram though. Analysis paralysis ;-)

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
As typos1 mentioned they should be the same as there's only one manufacturer bothering with alfas. Sometimes the listings differ because these are juat sellers, often they have no clue what they are selling.
Should be just the same package.
I was thinking about the newsmy one which also has a strong xda community, but given that you need a fascia kit (close to 100 euros extra) and can bus adapter etx, the price will be more. It's 7", quad core with 2GB ram though. Analysis paralysis ;-)
Both have a strong XDA community, the type Nicus is looking at has a thread of 950 pages, the Newsmys is 320 pages. Both have root and custom ROMs.

There is also a full touchscreen version of the HuiFei very similar looking to the Newsmy, I ll have some for sale soon.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Saw you are quite involved on XDA forum. Are you going to have a full touch version with or without needing a double din kit? Hows the pricing compared to the hard buttoned one?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Saw you are quite involved on XDA forum. Are you going to have a full touch version with or without needing a double din kit? Hows the pricing compared to the hard buttoned one?
Depending on seller, the KGL ones (single-Din plug and play for Alfa) go for 450-550 USD
The Newsmy one (same seller and maker) goes for 350. Shipping is about the same with DHL for all of them.
The Newsmy though will need a fascia and a dual din cage which go for 50 euros and more. Plus you will need an analog to CAN box to convert the steering inputs (and even then, I think not all buttons work), so the cost is roughly the same. But on the other hand you get a faster processor and more ram.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Depending on seller, the KGL ones (single-Din plug and play for Alfa) go for 450-550 USD
The Newsmy one (same seller and maker) goes for 350. Shipping is about the same with DHL for all of them.
The Newsmy though will need a fascia and a dual din cage which go for 50 euros and more. Plus you will need an analog to CAN box to convert the steering inputs (and even then, I think not all buttons work), so the cost is roughly the same. But on the other hand you get a faster processor and more ram.
I would rather buy the OEM looking one as it is a tough sell if it gets stolen and it looks as if it's model specific.

On top of all that it's less effort to fit.

That's just my opinion and hopefully I'll be able to order mine this coming week.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts