Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So thanks are in order for anyone who helped! Cheers!
I'd buy you a beer but I can't leave the house now!

Those defects are the dust covers on the upper wishbone ball joints... I tore them when I fit the new front suspension.

What to do now... Well, the car is noisy AF. When driving the road noise is extreme. Not sure what I can do about that really... I might add extra thick carpet. Any ideas?

I do still need to put in the new rear suspension, which should make it a little more comfy.

The car creaks like a boat when driving it... All the plastic and leather rubbing together in some way. That adds to the noise.

Beyond that it's cosmetic. The paint is rather ruined so I'd like to wrap it. Maybe paint the silver grill in black... Not sure about that. I also want to redo the roof lining and A-pillars in a suede-type material.

Kinda fancy doing something wacky too...

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Hopefully the boots don't have splits...as that is a major and a fail. Minor would be for perished boots or badly twisted so as to be likely to let dirt in or small amounts of grease leaking out. Ok I've not been a tester for a few years but it cant have changed that much.

·
Vendor
45,438 Posts
Congrats on the MOT, at last (y)

·
Registered
9,189 Posts
Black Lion? Cheap budget tyres from what I can see ..

If those ball joint rubbers are split, then you will start to see wear in the balljoints fairly soon (well in today's lock-down maybe not too soon) but they will start to wear and theat means ,, new arms unsless you can find two new boots and get the old balljoints out without damaging them further. Cheap arms have a habit of having cheap boots and split or perish at the first sign of use ..

The rusty discs will wear off with a few gentle presses of the brakes .. so if it's still noisy it is something else.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Black Lion? Cheap budget tyres from what I can see ..

If those ball joint rubbers are split, then you will start to see wear in the balljoints fairly soon (well in today's lock-down maybe not too soon) but they will start to wear and theat means ,, new arms unsless you can find two new boots and get the old balljoints out without damaging them further. Cheap arms have a habit of having cheap boots and split or perish at the first sign of use ..

The rusty discs will wear off with a few gentle presses of the brakes .. so if it's still noisy it is something else.

Yeah I should replace the wishbones again, which sucks because they're basically brand new. Luckily its not too bad of a job.

Might need a new driveshaft also, but I have a spare.

This lockdown is a good opportunity to do some dismantling though!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts