1,144 Posts
Hussar! No Alfa

Flawed data then ;-)

·
Premium Member
77,413 Posts
flawed indeed.

Bentley Conti :tut:

Surely the least reliable car isn't a niche motor with wealthy owner..............surely it's a mass produced motor, depended on by millions of skint average Joe type folk. people who, if and when it all caves in, are truly buggered

·
Registered
291 Posts
Think this one is a little more comprehensive
What Car? Reliability Survey 2012 - Results by brand: 31st to 36th - What Car?
They mention suspension problems as being the major problem,but I guess we'd call replacing wishbones and bushings as wear and tear.Nothing about snapped cam belts then?BMW don't come off well either with huge repair bills!Nice to see the Chelsea tractor brigade are dead last..

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
For fun, compare the best "Reliability" scores in What Car's review pages with the results of their fact-based used-car reliability survey.

Volkswagen get a free-pass when it comes to What Car: They're always praised for their "legendary" reliability, but when that reliability was examined, they managed to scrape a 20th place. Perhaps they mean "legendary" in the same way Atlantis is "legendary"... might have existed at one time, definitely doesn't today.

Fiat, famed for being unreliable are 19th - but their best model (500) seems to have been excluded from the survey (it's based on Warranty Direct claims, but most 500s will still have manufacturer cover); the 500's mechanical twin the Ford Ka is in placed very high in its category.

So: VW good, Italian bad... and they've done it again: They named the VW Up as their Car of the Year, giving it a 5-star score for "Reliability" despite their survey saying that VWs are not reliable in general, and them saying in the review itself that the Up is not as well put together as a Polo (that'd be the Polo that didn't place in the top 10 in their warranty survey).

On the other hand, the new FIAT Panda, based on a vehicle with a proven reliability record (two of the top 10 most reliable city cars in their survey), gets a mere three stars for this category, despite being described as having a high standard of materials, and that it "appears to be well put together".

TopGear, Car, Autocar and even AutoExpress all rate the Panda as being as good as or better than the Up, but only What Car put the VW well ahead, and relegate the Italian to an also-ran.

I never believed What Car knew a thing about cars, but it's nice to see them prove it themselves.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
KrisW that is very informative!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
what car - like anything from the Haymarket stable - is just plain faddy and biased. Hateful publication should be renamed what german car . . . .

Shamelessy cut and pasted from my post on another thread . . . . .

Righto, with regard to What Car. I'll relate a wee tale from my days in HiFi retail which may make you think a bit.

Back then, Marantz and Technics were getting all the rave reviews in What HiFi (From the same publishers as What Car and Autocar.......) and to my - and colleagues - ears they generally sounded crap - particularly so the amps from Marantz - yet always seemed to get full five stars and glowing reviews. We could never work out how these verdicts were reached and figured the reviewers must be deaf. However over a period of time, looking at the 'prime' advertising space (back cover, inside front and back cover, pages 3, 4, 5, and next to the index pages) in the magazine was generally taken by? You guessed it correctly . . . . . Coincidence????????

Now go take a look at who takes these prime advertising slots in What Car and Autocar and see how it relates to the verdicts in the magazine. . . . . . . . . . . .

Not that I am inferring any foul play here of course

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Didn't Autocar have a "liaison" person from Ford working there...? Ergo, Focus et al. is fantastic even though when I had one while my works Mercedes turned up, I thought it was ****e.. :D

Ralf S.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts