Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 147 gta before Xmas, all has been fine apart from when it's cold it struggles to start. So bought new battery about a month ago all was fine until yesterday when I tried to start her she only just started and the time had reset and the odometer was flashing but the stereo and date had not reset? , got home turned off then turned on no problem. Finished work today and there was not even enough power to start so needed a jump start. Anyone had this problem??....I haven't tested the alternater yet

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
Battery terminals clean & tight?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep one of the last owners has put the battery in the boot so not sure if this could be a part of the problem ?

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
Yep one of the last owners has put the battery in the boot so not sure if this could be a part of the problem ?
Yes it could be part of the problem but it isn't necessarily a problem so long as its done properly. Have they used a thick enough power cable? Where have they earthed the battery to in the boot? Is the earth cable from the gearbox to the chassis leg in good condition? Is the power cable securely connected to what's left of the original battery terminal box in the engine bay?

Is this the red one with the carbon plenum by any chance?

Your problem is definitely a lack of current and/or earthing capacity by the sounds of it.

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
Yes it is the one I assume you know of it ?
Yeah Scott's old one, there aren't many with a battery to boot conversion. I would check it all over, I'm sure I remember reading on FB of him having problems with battery connections etc. Thats got to be the source of your trouble.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I get time, and the whether is better I will have a good luck looks like it's been done properly though . Thinking of putting it back where it should be, but it's just getting the parts that have been removed and working out where everything went

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Other than weight distribution I can't see any real reason to mount it in the boot, it's not like the battery is tucked in a wheel arch and you have to take a wheel off to get to it.

·
Premium Member
7,690 Posts
Also make sure there's nothing draining power after shutdown (f.i. aftermarket radio etc.) ....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts