Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
23,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving down to London last week
Feeling a bit p'd off tbh. To explain - I am nearly 60 and am having to try and deal with an increasingly bewildered 90 year old mother - it puts horrendous demand on you believe me. But that is another thread.

I normally listen to R4 but it was Melvin Bragg- no thanks. Switched to R2 - it was Chris Evans interviewing Bear Grills (do you spell it like that?) and Heston Blumenthal (ditto).

So I was just about to turn that off too - but they played this:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxwWDw8Q2hA

You know what - old as I am it made me laugh - in the right way.

I think I'll look out for the album when it comes out (I googled some other of his stuff).

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
I think the best cure for having the "old age blues" is to mix and join in with younger people whenever you get chance. Listening to some of the music has the same effect on me.
My own music just takes me back to the '60s and '70s, not always a good thing. Many a time I end up in the car pootling along on my own balling my eyes out.

·
Administrator
23,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
TBH - I am not sure that age has much to do with it.

I have always appreciated a good song no matter from where it comes from.

Lyrics are important though. In this case he included the word "clumsy" which is lost within the song - throwaway stuff which adds to the overall feel good result.

·
Registered
599 Posts
OOPS i thought it read "Old man chooses a snog" ! Thought i might pick up some ideas. Opticians - there's an idea.

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
I liked Bam Bam when it got wound up a bit :lol: It started a bit slowly!

·
Administrator
23,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just listening to Love Lust; I'm reminded of Mika.
Ok - you have a point and I will revisit Mika

When I heard the lyric initially i.e.

"Never let a woman go even though she can always be replaced, always be replaced"

I thought - "What?"

Then as, the song goes on there is his own self doubt built in. Marvellous. Just what a good pop song should be - catchy tune and most people will ignore the lyrics but some will pick up on them. If you do it rounds the whole thing off.

If you don't then it doesn't matter - it was a nice tune.

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
I must admit I tend not to listen to lyrics as much as the melody. I like things to be uncomplicated!

Maybe that's a reflection on what I do for a living. In school there is a great deal of talk and listening - words are everything. It's how I help children to see what they can't, as yet, understand. It forms the basis of negotiation with those more reluctant to learn. At the gallery I listen to instrumentals. There are no words to invade my space there. My paintings are the words.

That said, my favourite songs have very poignant lyrics.

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
My all time favourite song :) Maybe not very cool, but I just love the words.

Love, soft as an easy chair....:love:

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
And my lift my spirits song is eternally...

"You dance and shake the hurt"

No matter what, I can dance through my troubles :) It might seem a bit simplistic, but hey it works for me :D I just find this such an inspiring, positive song :)

·
Administrator
23,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I must admit I tend not to listen to lyrics as much as the melody. I like things to be uncomplicated!

Maybe that's a reflection on what I do for a living. In school there is a great deal of talk and listening - words are everything. It's how I help children to see what they can't, as yet, understand. It forms the basis of negotiation with those more reluctant to learn. At the gallery I listen to instrumentals. There are no words to invade my space there. My paintings are the words.

That said, my favourite songs have very poignant lyrics.

Isn't interesting how we all perceive things differently?

To me a song is a whole.

The music could come first.

The words could come first.

BUT surely (sorry I have no creative skills here) you put them together to create a whole?

If not you either have a catchy tune with words that sort of fit so "will do" - 90% of what is released. Or decent lyrics with a tune that 90% of people ignore.

Hmmm.

Glad that poignancy is relevant to you though PG.:thumbs: And dance away - great as it works for you.

Words "invading space" - wow - I'll think about that one although - as I say - I am not creative so perhaps I miss how your work fills an otherwise verbal void.

·
Registered
54,872 Posts
The tune is one whole and can be listened to on it's own.
The lyrics are another whole and can be read as a poem.

Add them together and you get another whole, a different one.

In the best cases this works.

If the words are devalued by not having the music they may not
have been strong enough.

Just thought of that as I have never given it any thought before.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts