Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stop smirking at the back, this is not a paternity rant!

Yesterday I picked up a woodscrew in the back tyre of the GTV from the car park at work (and for reasons that will soon become apparent, someone is going to get their ar5se kicked on Monday). :mad:

Today, I took to be repaired. Because the roads are still very icy here, I decided not to risk driving the GTV with the widow-maker spacesaver on and instead chucked the offending wheel in the back of Mrs Rew’s Honda. Mistake number one as the rim fell on a bit of plastic trim and cracked it in the sub-zero temperature. Next bit of good news was that the screw was too close to the corner to be repaired. Given that the GTV has four nearly new Toyos on I wanted another one and unfortunately there is only one place in my town that stock them. Normally I would scout about for a good price, but then again normally I would have another car to use in the meanwhile. I have recently given my old SAAB turbo to my brother in law who is a decent bloke but has had a bit of financial bad luck involving a manipulative woman. I therefore needed the GTV back on the road quickly. I resigned myself to scooting over to the other side of town and paying £120 instead of £80. On the way, I half filled Mrs Rew’s Honda with cheap unleaded. As it started to judder about three miles later, I remembered that Mrs Rew's Honda is in fact a diesel. :cry:

I waited for the AA and a quick search (on my totally rubbish HTC phone) revealed that Honda would relieve me of £5500 to sort it out, not covered by the warranty and probably not covered by insurance. Warranty voided if I refuse. I don’t know about the rest of you but for me, especially with oldest son in medical school and paying for his rent in South Kensington, £5K + would take some finding.

Still, good manners cost nothing so I greeted the AA man with a cheery “You took your bloody time and I suppose I’ve fooked my engine then?” “No mate, I pick up two or three a week and there is never any problem”. He towed me home and arranged for a different AA van to come out to pump the old fuel out. The new guy said that he has pumped an average of four cars a day for the last four years and is yet to hear of anyone who has had a long term problem. It has cost me £180 + £20 for some sort of miracle snake-oil additive but still….Result! :D

So, as I sit enjoying my third G & T in front of a roaring fire with a dog asleep at my feet all is well in my life. I can’t help but feel however that it ought to be the petrol nozzles that are oversize, after all diesel in petrol is far less dangerous than the other way round. And why do dealers insist on changing the fuel pump, filter, tank, all fuel lines, all the injectors and fuel rail even before they have diagnosed any damage?

Oh, and the postscript. I went back to my parking spot at work and found an unusual rawl plug the same size as my screw. I know who was using them. As, I said before, on Monday someone is going to wish they were a bit tidier. ;)

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OOhh happy ending rant! :thumbs:

The miracle cure was probably just injector cleaner. ;)

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Top rant.

I could do with a woodscrew to mend my fence. Any chance you could post it?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad your day ended the right way.................with a little alcohol inside you:)

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Rewe, I have to praise you on a top quality, well written rant that gave me a good chuckle.......

And no, I wasn't laughing at the petrol in a diesel incident, since I managed to do much the same a few months ago, putting £20-worth of petrol into my (diesel) Transit. First thing I knew was it losing power about 15 miles later....just as I joined the M6....started thinking about what it could be and slowly the penny dropped.......staggered upto the next services when examination of the receipt revealed the truth.....squeezed two gallons of V-plus diesel in which marginally improved the situation, and crawled up to the next junction to turn round and head home - I was setting off for Scotland when I topped up! Over the next two weeks kept topping up with high-spec diesel and eventually diluted the petrol to restore normal performance - what little of it an old Transit ever had.....:lol:

I think modern diesels are a bit touchier than the old clunker I had, tho.....

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OOhh happy ending rant! :thumbs:

The miracle cure was probably just injector cleaner. ;)
I think you are right Nev, but I was so happy I would have bought anything he recommended at the time!

Top rant.

I could do with a woodscrew to mend my fence. Any chance you could post it?
Come and park in my spot and you can have as many as you like. :lol:

Glad your day ended the right way.................with a little alcohol inside you:)
Cheers Sparky :thumbs:

Rewe, I have to praise you on a top quality, well written rant that gave me a good chuckle.......

And no, I wasn't laughing at the petrol in a diesel incident, since I managed to do much the same a few months ago, putting £20-worth of petrol into my (diesel) Transit. First thing I knew was it losing power about 15 miles later....just as I joined the M6....started thinking about what it could be and slowly the penny dropped.......staggered upto the next services when examination of the receipt revealed the truth.....squeezed two gallons of V-plus diesel in which marginally improved the situation, and crawled up to the next junction to turn round and head home - I was setting off for Scotland when I topped up! Over the next two weeks kept topping up with high-spec diesel and eventually diluted the petrol to restore normal performance - what little of it an old Transit ever had.....:lol:

I think modern diesels are a bit touchier than the old clunker I had, tho.....
I read that when I was waiting for a tow, but it drives perfectly again now. I can't work out if the need for a full fuel system replacement has any basis or not. On one hand, I can understand that petrol is not going to be very good at lubricating a high pressure diesel pump but on the other, I'd imagine most engines will just go into limp mode as soon as it sniffs the petrol and will be switched off. One thing for certain though is that, despite all the disclaimers on the paperwork, both the AA guys were emphatic that no damage would have been caused.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I did this a couple of years ago. Fortunately I was on my way home and the petrol station is only about half a mile away. The local garage is even closer so I had done less than a mile by the time I took it in next morning. They drained the tank, filled up with fresh diesel but didn't change anything else. Ran fine and I had no trouble during the next year that I owned it.

I suspect it may have been a different matter if I had done enough mileage to get the petrol up into the injectors.

JC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts