Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted this on newbie forum. Probably here is best place.Looking for some help folks.

Currently drive an 09 plate 159. My first Alfa and i'm hooked. Thinking about selling it and using some of the proceeds to buy an 02 plate Spider Lusso 3.0. Apart from all the obvious stuff about trading to a completely different car, what do i need to look out for?

I do about 12-15k a year commuting. Combination of motorway and in town driving. I live in Scotland so weather isn't fantastic!

Any thoughts on what i need to think about/look out for with that version of the spider? Maybe point me in the direction of some useful forum info(i'm new to it)?

Thanks in anticipation

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
Cambelt, tensioners and idlers are the first thing I'd check.

Can't remember if the service interval for the V6 is 3 years/36k miles OR 4 years and 48k miles.

Rear suspension bushies can wear and make the handling quite undesirable.

Rust isn't really an issue on these, but still look in the rear arches, under the sills and boot floor. It should be good though.

Radiators do start to dissolve and cause the engine to over heat, so look at the rad to make sure the core is good.

Check to make sure the roof works properly and never start opening it before releasing the catches or it can cause issues with the motor and pump setup.

More people with spiders cold give more info.

The V6 sounds epic :thumbs:

·
Registered
708 Posts
At 12k to 15k a year and the price of the fuel its going to cost you just under 3k in petrol at approx 25mpg
Better prob going with a Twinnie

·
Registered
238 Posts
The hoods are ****e and pack up all the time so check right over it. My battery died within two days of buying mine. Push down on the rear wings and check for squeaks as the bushes are terrible. Be warned more often than not these cars cost a fortune to run and maintain, the ammount youd spend on it in a year you could wait a year and save up for a much better car. Having said that they are a great car to drive and you get alot of bang for your money. Unless you are good with the spanners then get ready to re mortgage your house.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
159 to a 916? You are going to get a whole new Alfa experience!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
If you buy one take out a warranty, my roof motor died within a few months and the warranty company paid for it. £230 warranty well over £600 roof motor. Also look at the oil cooler and pipes, these parts are near impossible to find so make sure they are in good condition. Sometimes people remove them all together, as in my case, because they cannot find the parts. This is not desirable as they oil temperature is not mointored. Personally keep the 159 and buy a twinnie as well otherwise the fuel bills may cripple you!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Lot of negative replies there, I got one a 2001 I love it. 24mpg local and 30mpg motorway driving. I also have the 156 SW 2.5 V6 a good car but not a patch on the Spider. Go for it.

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
Not really negative, was asking info to which most gave what to check and examples of running costs etc from personal experience.

Personally I will never own a spider, but I love the V6. However my dads looking into buying a P2 spider, it'll be parked up next to mine :D

If fuel consumption isn't your worry go for it :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Lambini shouldn't be put off by any of these posts. As long you you stick to the advice from nineonesix's first reply. I went from a Brera to a GTV Cup mainly because I felt the Brera didn't give me the true Alfa driving experience. I have never regretted it. I also have a 2.0 L Spider (manual hood). These two cars give me much more motoring pleasure than my 'pretty' General Motors Alfa ever did.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Because it's such a stupid flippant and more importantly, inaccurate thing to say. The Brera is hardly a GM car at all. True the platform was a joint venture developed with GM (although it was never used in any GM production car) much like the earlier SAAB Alfa venture. It is very usual these days for manufacturers to jointly develop platforms. The engines was nearly all Alfa as well, GM supplied the block only, Alfa (or Fiat) did the rest. The Brera could have been a great car. It was met with rave reviews about how stunning it looked (remember he Top Gear test?) and was only let down by its excess weight. The V6 is highly rated by people who have actually owned one, pushes out more BHP than the Busso and managed to power the heavy Brera to very similar performance figures to the Gtv. Us Alfisti love the Busso engine, of course we do, but we shouldn't close our eyes to anything else should we?

I don't think anyone was trying to be negative against the Spider. Quite clearly we love our 916's but the owner experience from a modern generation to the 916 is going to be different. I think that's all what was being said.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
The guy who said that had a V6 brera though so he can say what he likes about what he actually owned though?
If it's opinion or fact. You can't say it's a GM car when it's not. I don't have an issue with the fact he likes the Gtv better,that's his opinion and in fact one I share, I had a Brera for 2 months and I think the Gtv is more fun to drive. It's the GM thing that got my goat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the advice folks. If i wanted a Spider(keeping my 159 cause it's great(apologies if you Alfa nuts hate the 159!)) what version would you recommend? Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Holy thread resurrection batman:lol:

As a weekend/second car/occasional open top machine go for a good phase 2 Spider as it's a second car you may as well go for the V6 if not a TS perhaps with a manual roof (the motor ones always go wrong). Just remember the points listed above.

Reading through the thread again, reading all this 'GM' stuff, that's really funny. But if you do get a 916 V6 Spider it will be the more genuine Alfa experience with a genuine Alfa engine. And probably the finest V6 ever made.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts