Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everybody,

This weekend I started to install amplifier into my 147's boot. I found a reasonably large space on the right side under my spare tyre. (have you ever looked there? Perfect smugglers place :lol: ) It is exactly the size of my Blaupunkt GTA 250 amplifier fitted upside down in Dynamat seating. Have a look at the first picture (cables are not connected yet)

My only problem is, how to pass the power cable from the engine bay into the cabin, preferably on drivers side (left in my case :) ). I was fiddlig with the cable for a good hour yesterday, but didnt find a way.
I tried to follow hood lock wire, where it passes to the cabin, with some electric wires. See pictures two and tree. However, the wires pass through some plug, without space for another wire. I cant get my hands on it from the engine bay, and from cabin neither. I can see it through the fuse box, but cant reach it.

Second option seemed to follow the cable entering body just at the hood hinge. See the last pic. (rear window water pipe? doesnt look like electric cable...) I managed to push 0,5m of the cable through there, but couldnt find it on inside :( . It made noises in the wing, behind the wheel, under the side indicator.

Please, can anybody recommend a way how to get a cable from the battery into the car? Some easy way, as I am affraid to disconnect and take out fuse box and all electronics under the steering wheel.

Thanks for any help

brgds,

·
Registered
306 Posts
When I routed a power cable for my Active subwoofer I ran the cable through the rubber grommet that the Bonnet release catch goes through.

Now my way probably isnt the best way of doing it but it works !

I found a strong piece of wire with a sharp end and forced it through the rubber grommit. It has to be quite close to the centre of the grommet to go through.

When I could see the wire from the engine side I made a loop in the end of the metal wire and twisted it round to grip the power cable.
Imagin a needle and thread and you will understand what I mean ;)

Then its just a matter of brute force to pull the metal wire and the attached power cable through the rubber grommit into the engine bay.

The cable I used was fairly thin, I would have liked to try doing it with a thick cable though as it might havtorn right through the rubber grommit !!

·
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi RIOT and thanks for you answer.

You seem to be the only one here who has done this, so I will try to follow your steps. I have a 6mm2 power cable, so it is 3-3,5mm thick. Maybe I will have tu use thiner one, I will see. I will try to use some grease or WD40 to pass the cable, hope it helps.

·
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Riot,
I did it yesterday as you described. It worked perfectly. Thanks once more.

·
Registered
247 Posts
riot have u got any pictures?? in need of some help with it..also what did u guys use to connect ur remote wire to?????

·
Registered
306 Posts
No pictures sorry, and i dont really remember what I did to be honest it was done in 2005 lol

My car was stripped out of the subwoofer / speakers / headunit yesterday because im selling it. I already have my new car a Mazda 3 saloon

sorry mate

S

·
0 Posts
Hello there, I realise this thread is old, but will probably be getting views, so, just a bit of advice from one who knows very little. Whenever I have installed Amplifiers into my, or other peoples cars the instructions tend to say that they have to be installed one particular way around, namely, fin side up. If you install the amplifier upside down, it may not be good for its long term health as the components tend to be screwed to a base plate and the upper case acts as a heat sink. If possible, you should try and turn it right side up and allow some air to circulate around it.

I once had to install an amp in a similar location in a boot build and I ended up using a computer cooling fan and some thin panel plywood ducting to cool the install. I ran the fan from a tap off of the main always on power supply to the amp, powered up by a mini-relay controlled by the blue head unit switching wire.

Andy

·
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AndyMac said:
Hello there, I realise this thread is old, but will probably be getting views, so, just a bit of advice from one who knows very little. Whenever I have installed Amplifiers into my, or other peoples cars the instructions tend to say that they have to be installed one particular way around, namely, fin side up. If you install the amplifier upside down, it may not be good for its long term health as the components tend to be screwed to a base plate and the upper case acts as a heat sink. If possible, you should try and turn it right side up and allow some air to circulate around it.

I once had to install an amp in a similar location in a boot build and I ended up using a computer cooling fan and some thin panel plywood ducting to cool the install. I ran the fan from a tap off of the main always on power supply to the amp, powered up by a mini-relay controlled by the blue head unit switching wire.

Andy
I am not worried about heat in this case. Don’t forget this is low power installation, my amplifier is 2x50W/1x160W RMS and even when I was testing it on the table I couldn’t feel it getting even slightly warm. If you look on the picture, you can see that the cooling fins are not on the top, but on its bottom and on the sides. Bottom part is thick metal one, responsible for heat displacement, the top cover is just thin aluminium. I think this way it gets much better cooling than for example screwed to the rear seats, with the bottom cooling fins pressed to the carpet. And as the spare wheel bay is not flat, it rests on some sort or rubber pillars and there is free air around it. Bottom, top, sides... all around.

·
Registered
247 Posts
save starting a new thread, iv got my sub wired in but now when i turn the engine on before the stereo kicks in i get loads of bass'y feedback for a few seconds its doig my head in!!!

any ideas what would couse this?

·
Registered
324 Posts
fellowsuk said:
save starting a new thread, iv got my sub wired in but now when i turn the engine on before the stereo kicks in i get loads of bass'y feedback for a few seconds its doig my head in!!!

any ideas what would couse this?
Need more details..
What gear? (Amp, headunit)
Which cables (power and RCA, guage and length for power)
Grounding point (pic??)
Remote wiring.
Does the stereo turn on with the ignition?

·
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you get the bass sound only before the stereo starts or during sound playback as well. If it was bad grounding, the noise would be present all the time, not only before the stereo starts to play....

Sorry if I missed some of your posts, do you have standard alfa headunit or some other? I am asking because I am curious how do you swith on your sub amplifier?

Please give some more details about components and connection/cables.

·
Registered
324 Posts
gotcha said:
Sorry if I missed some of your posts, do you have standard alfa headunit or some other? I am asking because I am curious how do you swith on your sub amplifier?
Splice your remote wire to pin 5 of the cars power ISO connector or the corresponding pin on your HU.

·
Registered
247 Posts
sorry guys to be honest i didnt think anyone would reply,

right its grounded to where a tow bar is fitted under a large bolt. the bass'y feedback only comes on with the ignition then when the stereo comes on it makes a little pop and playes 100% fine! its the space between the when the ignition comes on to when the connect nav + starts playing.

im using the same ignition to remote power it on as u said nitro, iv wired in an speaker to rca converter using my rear speakers and with the rca outs there is a ground wire there, iv put this on a bolt that goes onto the car body, maybe this is the problem??

ill try n post some pictures, damn clocks going back dont help tho its dark way before i finish work!

·
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think the problem is in your way how you switch the amplifier on. Your amplifier should not turn on when you start ignition, only when your stereo turns on. There are three wires going to the amplifier. Ground, permanent 12V (battery) and switched 12V that turns the amplifier on.

Ground and battery is clear.

Your problem is that you connected your amplifier to ignition, this means that even if you don’t listen to the music and HU is off, your amplifier is on. The sound you hear is probably some interference your cables catch on the way and amplifier makes it hearable.

If you have Alfa headunit, I really don’t know how to wire the amplifier switch-on wire. I think somebody else could help. Jomor, are you here? :)

Aftermarket headunits have special pin, to turn the amplifier on. They power on this pin only 1-2 seconds after the headunit turns on so the amplifier turns on later than HU and you can’t hear noise.

·
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One more idea, you could make a manual switch on the amplifier "turn-on" wire. It can be connected to ignition, or even permanent 12V, no problem. You will turn it on only when you need your subwoofer to play.

Just a thought, but might be inconvenient for somebody.

·
Registered
324 Posts
gotcha said:
If you have Alfa headunit, I really don’t know how to wire the amplifier switch-on wire. I think somebody else could help. Jomor, are you here? :)

Aftermarket headunits have special pin, to turn the amplifier on. They power on this pin only 1-2 seconds after the headunit turns on so the amplifier turns on later than HU and you can’t hear noise.
Look at my previous post (#14). Switch-on signal from the HU can be found at pin 5 of the ISO powerconnector (as with all Blaupunkt HU's and others using ISO). It's usually marked "power antenna" as it is often used to turn on an antenna amplifier or raise a hidden antenna.

Also look here: Link

·
Registered
247 Posts
nitro thats what i connected it to, it was me posting all the posts saying MARRY ME for that information, the connect nav comes on then u get bass'y feedback then when the music starts playing its fine, so it is only comming on with the connect nav!

so no-one thinks it could be the earth of the rca convertor? im gonna fix it to somthing else n see,

the wierd thing is it was fine for the first coupl' o days then when i adjusted the amps (basically turned the gain up) then it started happening? any conection??

1 - 20 of 34 Posts