Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an opportunity to go to Amble with a Flickr Group im in, Ramble with Amble to do some seascape stuff. Great bunch and a great night had by all. Heres my shot... 4 minute exposure using my Heliopan ND 10 stopper and Hitech 3 stop Hard Grad. Have to say the sunset was bloody amazing which is crazy considering how bleak it was all day and on the way there!

Amble Sunset by gizto29, on Flickr
Check it out on Black on Flickr :)
Thanks for looking, Phil

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Yup lovely,very very good shot, not much chance of me shooting sunsets unless they are on a weekend, the price u pay for working nights!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Just had a look at the original size image on Flickr and have a couple of comments:
It looks like you've used a fair bit of the Lightroom 'recovery' tool, it can be seen in the rocks in the foreground (bottom right of the image). If that's what you used, it's a useful tool but can be very destructive - particularly if you don't shoot in RAW.
Also (and it could just be a processing thing) it looks like you have a couple of dead pixels on your sensor. Take a look at the full size image just below the first lamppost from the left on the promenade.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
aah i see - yep, looks even better on black :cool:
Cheers :)
Cracking shot :thumbs:
:cool:
Thanks mate:)
Just had a look at the original size image on Flickr and have a couple of comments:
It looks like you've used a fair bit of the Lightroom 'recovery' tool, it can be seen in the rocks in the foreground (bottom right of the image). If that's what you used, it's a useful tool but can be very destructive - particularly if you don't shoot in RAW.
Also (and it could just be a processing thing) it looks like you have a couple of dead pixels on your sensor. Take a look at the full size image just below the first lamppost from the left on the promenade.
I used the wand on PS CS5 to select the rock sections then bumped up the exposure on them as they were still too dark and i see what youre saying as they have a slight light section on the edges where they meet the water. I cant see the dead pixels on my laptop... As i mentioned in my comments on Flickr i really want to achieve this type of shot SOOC though the correct use of filters. I suppose i will only get to that point through experience though and i find with sunsets/rises you dont have long to try different things. Its definitely a steep learning curve! Thanks for the input mate.:)

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
I used the wand on PS CS5 to select the rock sections then bumped up the exposure on them as they were still too dark and i see what youre saying as they have a slight light section on the edges where they meet the water. I cant see the dead pixels on my laptop... As i mentioned in my comments on Flickr i really want to achieve this type of shot SOOC though the correct use of filters. I suppose i will only get to that point through experience though and i find with sunsets/rises you dont have long to try different things. Its definitely a steep learning curve! Thanks for the input mate.:)
That's it, it creates a kind of halo effect around items of differing brightness. Have you tried Lightroom instead of Photoshop? That's all I use for editing now although all I tend to do is alter the white balance, exposure, colouring etc of my pics.

I've attached the section where you can see what I think may be dead pixels. As I mention though, it could just be something which has been artificially created in processing.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's it, it creates a kind of halo effect around items of differing brightness. Have you tried Lightroom instead of Photoshop? That's all I use for editing now although all I tend to do is alter the white balance, exposure, colouring etc of my pics.

I've attached the section where you can see what I think may be dead pixels. As I mention though, it could just be something which has been artificially created in processing.
Exactly, I do have lr3 but mainly use it for batch editing when i do time-lapses. I purposely used PS so i could use the wand. MAybe i'll leave it next time but really i need to try and get it right before PP. I can see i small blue dot about 7mm down and to the left of the lampost...

I really like that Phil, the colours are stunning :thumbup:
Thanks Sue:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts