Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started the car up this evening and the amber warning light stayed on with the message check engine. I've called the AA out to take a look.

I was warned that Alfa's were unreliable, and i'm now starting to believe it.

·
Banned
4,362 Posts
Common problem and when you take it in for checking usually now't wrong.
Our runabout Punto does it regularly if not used for a while, we ignore it and it vanishes after a while.

Will still be worth while taking it to the dealer to be on the safe side though :thumbs:

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
...I was warned that Alfa's were unreliable, and i'm now starting to believe it.

'they' were obviously right, get rid sharpish :rolleyes:

;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
one little problem and suddenly alfas are unreliable get real all cars have problems. i have had my mito nearly three years with no problems and before that i had a 147 for four years and only did usual things to it that all cars need and now i have my new mito coming on friday so cant be all that bad. could be worse you could have bought a french car then you would have something to moan about

·
Registered
407 Posts
couldnt agree more about french cars and why do all these stupid people beleive everything they are told about alfas i have had all sorts of alfas over the years from 1990 onwards and now have a mito jtdm 1600 and its been brilliant apart from egr valve clean i work in the car repair industry and even the so called reliable german stuff has loads of issues i take it your alfa is still under warranty so stop panicking and get it checked out and stop listening to all that ******** people keep telling you

·
Registered
65 Posts
Lol, 1 wee light comes on and its crap.

I've had my 95 for nearly 2.5 years and have had a few issues, including the car ridding piggy back on an AA truck on one occasion, but that's just cars for you. I know people that have owned Mini's, VW's and Audis from new that have had far more problems than me....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was an engine management light, and according to the handbook it's not advisable to travel far as it could result in damage to the engine. The diagnostic reading from the AA came back with fault code Po512, he reset it and it seems okay now.

And i agree not all cars are great or reliable, I had a Renault Megane 2, and that was a disaster as was the Renault dealer. yet my wife has a DS3 and that has not missed a beat, neither did my previous mini in 3.5 years ownership.

I've had this car less than 2 months, it had a fault the moment i drove it out the dealership, still waiting for the part to repair it, two issues in less than 2 months on a new car, not to mention the problems with dealer before the car even arrived, my reservations are not only based on hear say, but from my personal experience to date.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My brand new MiTo JTDm-2 Veloce has proven to be faultless in 10 weeks of hard driving (6,000 miles already!). It has a few minor creaks and rattles that seem to come and go but I am very happy!

I once bought a 2-year old Approved Used Mercedes Benz with 12,500 miles on the clock and I got unceremoniously driven back to the dealership on a tow truck within 10 days... The clutch release had failed on the A4 in the rush hour! You should have seen the look on the face of the salesman... :) That fault never was fully rectified.... :-(

And don't get me started on the Cherished Mini Cooper S that I bought!! What a piece of [email protected] that turned out to be! Worst event was a failed hydraulic engine mount that sprayed fluid over the inner wing. What a great paint stripper that stuff is!?!

The award for 'worst car I ever owned' goes to my Renault Megane. I bought it brand new and it went back 13 times in a year for a new alarm, a new sunroof, a refitted exhaust.... utter rubbish! 'Shake that ass' indeed.

Enjoy your Alfa and don't let the doubters put you off!! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had exactly the same problem (2011 Mito 135), dropped car of at the dealers the next day and later got a call to say that a software update was needed to fix the issue.

The error occured when pulling away from a juction and did not clear on switching the engine off/on, though the next day the error cleared on starting from cold. The garage was able to look in the management log and find the error. Apparently it occurs if the clutch/acceleration are in a certain position for a certain period of time and other factors occur.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts