Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i would just like to say that if anyone has the jerky intermitent wiper problem then go get some arms of a volve 440 now, i never thought a volvo would be so useful! For 3 long yrs iv put up with them shocking excuses for wipers on my 155. Scrape... squeal.....squeak, then stop for no apparent reason while its hammering it down with rain, nice! Iv been meaning to do somthing about them for ages but never got round to it. I went to a scrapyard with a friend who wanted some bits so i tagged along for the ride, walking around for a bit i saw this very off white, sorry looking volvo that had obviously had a run in with a 38 ton lorry cause it was looking pretty battered, but somehow we recognised it to be a volvo 440, and even with the windscreen smashed to a billion pieces its wiper arms were still intact, woooooooooo! So i took them off and paid the reasonable sum of £5! Got some new blades, an 18" on the passenger side and 20" on drivers. Iv just fitted them on this morning, simple job which only took 20 or so mins and binned the old ones! Gave them a quick test, squirted some water on and they are glorious, absolutely glorious, not a squeak, not a squeal, not a judder, just smooth efficient hassle free wiping. Even after the water had dried they were still smoother then a smooth thing in smooth land at a very smooth time of day, if you got the judder problem with your wipers then go get some volvo 440 wipers now, god i love volvo, NOT (well apart from T5 estates maybe). :p

·
Registered
13,259 Posts
Ah... the '55 wipers have been much maligned.

Horses for courses, I say. Tarquini has the original Alfa wipers and no problems whatsoever.

I noticed that the bottom pin gets worn though, causing the upper part of the arm to flex in relation to the fixed, lower stub bit. New arms needed (albeit at £25 a side).

Still, he's 10 1/2 now (84 in car years) so I can't begrudge him some new replacement joints.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
If you can't find a Volvo 440, the arms off a Cavalier 3 will do just as well, they are almost identical. Now you shouldn't have problems finding one of those in a scrappy should you?

G

·
I prefer the OE 155 arms. I cured the judder by removing all the excess grease from the contacts in the motor.
RainX also helps a lot. Both my V6 and Silverstone have the OE arms and are judder free. They flip up and down smoothly and quickly. I know it's time to reapply the RainX when they make a squeak sound.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the proper 155 arms are in the bin now, i have to admit the proper arms look alot beefier and meaner but after 3 yrs of squeak im sticking with the ovlov ones for now, mite try a bit of rain x tho, mite make em even better!

G

·
Hi guys,

I agree with wrinx, the volvo ones maybe doing a great job, BUT......it's an awful sight: a beautiful 155 met disgusting wipers. All must agree:You don't fit Pamela Anderson with Margareth Thathers headlights !!!!!!
I have the same old problems with my wipers, but i'll stick with them till I find a better solution with original wipers.

Please help me out: somebody, somewhere mentioned RainX being available in Halfords (or Halfrauds). Being a Dutch 155 Nut, I Tried the frauds in Holland....no succes !! Maybe the same stuff is sold in Holland under a different name. Can someone sent me a pic of the bottle ??

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
The standard wiper arms and blades are quite poor- I changed mine to early Tipo arms with 20" Bosch blades. I also use RainX (water repellant) and this really helps. :cool:

The problem is that the wipers work on 1 speed (about the same as my normal driving speed-Fast). Because of this, the wiper linkage and arms suffer accelerated wear. :eek: One way to stop this is to use an in line resistor to the wiper motor. Around 1ohm of resistance is about right to slow the thing down. However, it needs to handle about 200watts of power. I found a heater motor resistor works about right. Enterprising people could even wire in an auxilliary switch in the dash to allow full speed to be easily restored. No more wiper problems (as long as the grease doesn't clog up the motor). :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.