Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know some months ago, I moped on about the excessive over use of the word 'amazing', but please, it has got to stop.

It is almost impossible to watch or listen to any TV or radio program without it cropping up several times. It adds nothing, no colour, no flavour, no image to the thing you're describing as 'amazing'.

Today, a Christmas greeting came my way that wished me an 'amazing' Christmas. While Christmas will be good, it will not be 'amazing'. I've got £100 in my pocket that says, unless I find a fully functioning UFO and a three-headed alien living in my stocking, I will not be 'amazed' by Christmas. Yes, Christmas will be fun and enchanting in its own way, but it absolutely will not be 'amazing'.

But no matter where you turn, you can't hide from this over-used and over-abused word trivialising every single thing it sets out to describe.

"What was it like working with Madonna?" Answers could include: "Inspirational, because she is such a rich source of new musical ideas and genres, but also demanding because she will not settle for anything but the best that she can extract from you." That, I would say, is an interesting reply. But what do we get? We get this: "What was it like working with Madonna?" "Amazing!"

Great. Thanks for that. Thanks for sharing your 'amazement'. It tells us absolutely eff all about anything. But you were 'amazed'. So, that's Ok then. Yeah, cheers.

Describe your career: "It's been amazing. Working with (whoever) was [you're going to say amazing, aren't you?] just amazing!"

AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!

So here's a little exercise. This week, take a listen and a view to hear/see how many times you hear this word uttered, and ask yourself what value it has added to what you were seeing/listening to. I'm guessing here, but I suspect the answer is 'bu55er all'.

Can we ban it? Can we stop it? It's a trite soundbite word, so devoid of explaining or adding colour to the event it describes. It strips events, people, moments, everything, of the opportunity to describe what made that moment so profound by using the same trite bloody word to describe every single event.

"Amazing" = airhead

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's not helping! :)

M

·
0 Posts
Completely with you Scud....

....and the way that this over used word is pronounced causes concern, and anger, for me.

......a colleague likes to say "that was A 'dot' Mazing".......he's 30 for crying out loud, not a bloody teenager???.....I often wonder if he ever attended a school as a child.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the reason I detest the use of the word, is because it's a lazy cop out.

Why bother to try and articulate an experience, when you can just sum it up as 'amazing'? Call it 'amazing', and, Bish-Bosh-Bash, job done.

It doesn't tell you anything, either. What does it mean when you say it was 'amazing' to do this, or do that? What do you mean? How was it 'amazing'?

The over use of the word diminishes its meaning. I kid thee not, I heard a weekend described as: "We went for an amazing walk. We found an amazing pub. It served the most [yep, you guessed it] amazing lamb"

What have I learnt from that? The lamb is as amazing as the pub. The pub is as amazing as the walk. The walk was as amazing as the lamb.

Is that the best we can do? Describe everything as 'amazing'.

I heard someone describe aspects of their holiday as 'amazing' 18 times in five minutes.

The lady from Florence and The Machine said it countless times in an interview on Radio 2 a few months back.

Maybe it's just me.

M

·
0 Posts
the reason I detest the use of the word, is because it's a lazy cop out.

Why bother to try and articulate an experience, when you can just sum it up as 'amazing'? Call it 'amazing', and, Bish-Bosh-Bash, job done.

It doesn't tell you anything, either. What does it mean when you say it was 'amazing' to do this, or do that? What do you mean? How was it 'amazing'?

The over use of the word diminishes its meaning. I kid thee not, I heard a weekend described as: "We went for an amazing walk. We found an amazing pub. It served the most [yep, you guessed it] amazing lamb"

What have I learnt from that? The lamb is as amazing as the pub. The pub is as amazing as the walk. The walk was as amazing as the lamb.

Is that the best we can do? Describe everything as 'amazing'.

I heard someone describe aspects of their holiday as 'amazing' 18 times in five minutes.

The lady from Florence and The Machine said it countless times in an interview on Radio 2 a few months back.

Maybe it's just me.
It's not just you mate;)

K

·
0 Posts
It strikes me that people are amazed but things which are fairly unremarkable.

Amazing rant Blud.

·
Administrator
87,044 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
I hate that ... and I hate awesome, and like I really like hate the use of like the word "like" instead of a pause like ...

The other irritating one is people who say laaaavly instead of "lovely"

The other thing I really really hate like is anything to do with X Factor ... in fact I DO NOT LIKE it like ...

edited to add...

I also really hate facebook... GTF .. its just about due to be history ... just like BEBO, YAHOO and altavista ... google is heading that way as well.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Amazing is a PR-trained word that is used to convey emotion without expressing any emotion that actually means anything.

So in many cases the PR for an aspirational musician would not guide their client not to express working with Madonna as inspirational nor demanding. I'm not saying this is right, but use of something like 'amazing' means that they'd not be calling Madonna hard work or impossible to please (demanding), or shares common values, agrees with buying children from Africa (inspirational).

That's just how it works. A result of a media-driven society where everything is under scrutiny either now or in weeks, months or years. The solution has become to say nothing.

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
"Exciting", "brand new".

From an internet banking website:

"Get ready for a brand new Online Banking service with exciting features designed to make it easier and quicker for you to bank with us."

No, nothing about online banking is exciting & it's not "brand new", it's just the old website buggered about to make it look different without being any better so that you can justify your presence.

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Loving all the ranting chaps! I completely agree and feel truly amazed that I am not the only person stunned by the awesome overuse of these words.

It's the avoidance of actually saying anything more than a conveniently trite soundbite that annoys me as much as the word itself. Music and Sport personalities (surely an antonym in most cases?) are particularly adept with them.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
New and improved.

What, you mean both?
If something is new, how can it be an improvement on the old one?
If it is new, surely it is an up to date design so it can't be improved on.

Mick.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
It's not the words themselves but the constant repetition.

I want to ask the perpetrators why they do not have an alternative. For instance OED defines stunning as extremely attractive, delightful, splendid. Use these instead, but not one only and constantly, and appear intelligent (having or showing understanding, clever, quick of mind) and educated with an extensive vocabulary.

Must admit it is more difficult to write the above about amazing but I would say to users please just stop, find other ways of expressing your genuine feelings about the subject.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts