Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out in the wifes Clio yesterday, don't like taking my Alfa to Tescos, too many morons who damage the doors etc..
Anyway, as it happens my wifes car is now rather bent after some unspeakeable muppet wearing a baseball cap in a Fiesta decided to use the Clio as a buffer at a junction!
Sat waiting for traffic to move, bang! Smacked in the rear, and not in a Carry On way.

Not happy, he then started to get out of the car, thought better of it and screeched off. Thankfully a witness got his plate details, but Police don't want to know yet. Insurance company said they will chase the matter, but in the mean time, I've got to fork out for the excess, £350, and have to listen to the "its a good job you weren't in your car..." for the next goodness knows how long!

Ahhhhhhhhhhh. :cry:

And calm.....

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
It's a good job you weren't in your car....

There, it's done now! :)

I feel for you, I've had similar happen... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
See below, it appears to against the law not to stop and provide your details so I would phone PC Plod and ask him again just why he isn't interested yet? Tell him there's the potential to impose a fine and I'm sure it will rocket up his list of priorities!

What are my legal obligations?
If damage has been caused to another person or another person's property, you must stop and provide your full details to the injured party/the owner of the damaged property. You must supply your name and address and the name and address of the owner of the vehicle you were using, if it is not your vehicle. In the case of a person suffering injury you also have an obligation to report the matter to the Police "as soon as reasonably practicable" but in any event, within 24 hours.

I was involved in an accident but did not stop or provide any details, what offences have I committed?
You could be prosecuted for failing to stop and failing to report, regardless of whether you are to blame for the accident. If the accident is wholly or partially your fault, you could also be prosecuted for driving without due care and attention or dangerous driving.

What are the potential penalties for failing to stop and failing to report?
Each offence can result in an instant driving ban, but in normal circumstances, you should expect a means tested fine up to £2,500 and between 5 and 10 penalty points. In extremely serious cases, punishment can include community service, a curfew order or a prison sentence.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You were hit from behind and he drove off?

I bet your neck is starting to hurt as well isn't it? He probably knew you were injured in the accident which makes driving off even worse - the police should have been called and attended.

Anyway, hope your painful back and neck aren't a problem for too long.

;)

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
sorry to hear that, at least you and the Alfa are OK.

I would have thought Plod would have been more interested in a gilt edged opportunity handed to him on a plate.

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
SO Hit an Run is not of Interest to the Police....Maybe you should ask to see a "superior' ;)
/And if they are then not Interested ask them to put it in Writing that Hit and run when no one is injured is not a 'criminal' offense :lol:
And I am sorry about the Back and neck pain. Hope your Doctor helps you out ;)
It took a day for whiplash to manifest it's self in my last accident. I think the Adrenaline rush hide the pain....

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am writing this from the hospital bed, I am in full body plaster and will be for the rest of my life, well, thats what I have out on the insurance form....only joking...
The damage is not as bad as I thought, the bumper virtually popped back into place, but the boot struggles to open/close and the rear section is buckled. But, should be easily fixable.
Police actually called back yesterday, took details of the number and description and said they would investigate until the culprit is found, or they find the car dumped somewhere....bet it is on Barr Beacon already!

Oh well, I'm not hurt and the car is fixable. Just a pain in the neck....excuse the pun.....

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
Oh well, I'm not hurt and the car is fixable. Just a pain in the neck....excuse the pun.....
That's not the point wynne...It's the principle of the thing.

"If owing to the presence of a motor vehicle on a road an accident occurs wherby
a
b
c
and
d
The driver of the the motor vehicle must STOP

no if's no buts no mibbees and carry out certain obligations..
Offence complete.

Why are the polis so useless..they are the agence responsible for policing this...Well they used to be unless its changed

BUT if they let convicted paedophiles run loose (under the freedom of information act..we cannae tell you where they are because we dont know) to commit more crime and do a driver for blowwing his nose while stopped in a queue of traffic heaven help us.

Pomeo

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
the rear section may be pushed back into place with a Tesco green tray (as used on the prodice dept) with some 20kg of rice or similar in it.

Sufficient weight to knock it, flat enough to ensure it is straight.

Just make sure your back is up to it :lol:

·
Registered
764 Posts
Absolute disgrace the way the police operate these days, any sort of motoring crime (unless, god forbid, you have no insurance) and they just don't want to know. :mad:

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After a little persuasion, the Clio rear panel popped back out! A little creased but hardly noticable really.
Purple, think it was you driving over Western/Sunnybank on Sunday, I had just finished whacking it with a rubber mallet! Was messing with the 159s rear lights, again when you passed.

Insurance picking it up at half term, they seem to have a back log for some reason.
Spoke to police liaison yesterday, they seem to have located the car in Erdington, but no one is owning up to driving it, theres a shock eh???

Onwards and upwards...

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
The poor little clio.. :(

Hope you get this sorted. I had someone run into the back of me at a junction and they never even found the car. I just got the car fixed itself and then a year later found they were trying to say I had a claim.

·
Registered
17,798 Posts
When my hubbys car got broken into, and all his expensive stuff stolen (and in my care, dear lord!) He phoned the police to have the car finger printed, they refused, so he said....
HUBBY 'ok, so i can steal a car and get away with it cause you wont do forensics'
PC PLOD 'no sir we will arrest you for theft'
H 'so come and Fingerprint my car'
P 'there's no one available'
H 'right, i can go and kil someone and get away with it cause you wont do forensics'
P ''no sir, we will arrest you for murder'
H 'you bunch of c***s' phone goes dead, two seconds later....ring ring
JB 'hello, this is joe bloggs from herts scientific unit, let me know where the car is and we will come and fingerprint it for you'

just tell them you will find the bugger yourself, im sure they'll come running

**NOTE...I do not condone this sort of behavior towards police officials in any way,**

was funny though....

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Purple, think it was you driving over Western/Sunnybank on Sunday, I had just finished whacking it with a rubber mallet!
I was at work on Sunday, so not the 166, maybe mrs P's?

although I did once see a 166 like mine in and around Sutton/Erdington driven by an asian guy, even been down my road once, but not seen him for a god while

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Unfortunately because the Carpark per se may not be considered a road for the purposes of the Road Traffic Act the obligations that would normally apply ie provision of details or requirement to stop may not apply. Consequently the Police may be limited in their response by this exception. Basically , don't hold your breath. Its likely it's going to be a civil claim through the County Court. Sorry.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
When my hubbys car got broken into, and all his expensive stuff stolen (and in my care, dear lord!) He phoned the police to have the car finger printed, they refused, so he said....
HUBBY 'ok, so i can steal a car and get away with it cause you wont do forensics'
PC PLOD 'no sir we will arrest you for theft'
H 'so come and Fingerprint my car'
P 'there's no one available'
H 'right, i can go and kil someone and get away with it cause you wont do forensics'
P ''no sir, we will arrest you for murder'
H 'you bunch of c***s' phone goes dead, two seconds later....ring ring
JB 'hello, this is joe bloggs from herts scientific unit, let me know where the car is and we will come and fingerprint it for you'

just tell them you will find the bugger yourself, im sure they'll come running

**NOTE...I do not condone this sort of behavior towards police officials in any way,**

was funny though....
While I feel for you, one should never leave valubles in an unattended vehicle, and especially not on display.

·
Registered
17,798 Posts
While I feel for you, one should never leave valubles in an unattended vehicle, and especially not on display.
the sub and amp were stolen, from the boot. so not on display. The car was alarmed and left in a shopping centre car park. the alarm must have gone off as the battery was flat. I dont know how they knew the stuff was in the boot. I had the stereo face in my handbag at work all day. I went to the shop nearest the car, but they told me the cameras were all dummy one, we also asked the car wash guys (Who tour the carpark washing cars all day) but they denied all knowledge of anything happening :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts