Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Wondering about the 159 start button, is it meant to just be a press, or a long press (held down)?
Thanks

·
Registered
369 Posts
If you press the clutch in they it's a single, quick press. If it's the brake you press then you'll need to press the button until she starts.

Well thats how mine works (2009 jtdm).

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
On mine, 2007, it said press brake or clutch, then press until car started.

Again, why?

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
I keep my finger on the button until it fires-up.
People have previously reported that just a quick push doesn't always do it.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
The 159 2007 is press until it starts. That might be instant or a few swings depending on ambient temperature, how well your pre-heaters and other components are working and if you leave it long enough for the pre-heaters to actually pre-heat the air charge before pressing the start button

It is not like the very latest cars where you just press and release and the ECU takes over.

·
Registered
280 Posts
On my 2011 if I depress the brake it's push and hold the button until it starts. If I depress
the clutch it's push the button briefly and the car starts. I prefer the latter.

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
Oups... I have never tried to start car with brake engaged.
Have just tried my both car different way.
19JTDM Phase 1 car requests long press to start both either clutch or brake engaged.
22JTS Phase 2 car request single touch with clutch engaged while long press is needed with brake one.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I had a phase 2 - as others have reported, if you depress the clutch then a tap on the button was enough, whereas if you push the brake pedal, the start button needs to be held continuously until it fires.

As to why, maybe he's just curious as to why it sometimes starts itself and sometimes doesn't, without realising the pedal chosen makes a difference?

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I had a phase 2 - as others have reported, if you depress the clutch then a tap on the button was enough, whereas if you push the brake pedal, the start button needs to be held continuously until it fires.

As to why, maybe he's just curious as to why it sometimes starts itself and sometimes doesn't, without realising the pedal chosen makes a difference?
I can understand his curiosity Mike, but why doesn't he state "why" then the answers could be directed as his issue, rather than people just having to guess the problem:irked:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Probably the same reason as me - the only manual I could find said quick press with one pedal down, but hold if the other pedal - my 2007 3.2Q4 needed the long hold with either pedal - so I thought something was broke.

Which I do everytime I work on something, lean in, shove the key in and press the button . . . nothing . . . it normally clicks after a while, normally after checking everything in sight, and I get in to press a pedal too . . .:thumbup:

Bri

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Probably the same reason as me - the only manual I could find said quick press with one pedal down, but hold if the other pedal - my 2007 3.2Q4 needed the long hold with either pedal - so I thought something was broke.

Which I do everytime I work on something, lean in, shove the key in and press the button . . . nothing . . . it normally clicks after a while, normally after checking everything in sight, and I get in to press a pedal too . . .:thumbup:

Bri
:confused:

·
Banned
3,110 Posts

Bri
Do you familiar with Phase 1 and Phase 2 car features ???...
I know Europeans ( continental at least ) cares about First Registration date and never care about production date. Phase1 has been switches to Phase2 at March 2007. It fits to VIN codes like ZAR9390000720XXXX ( not sure exact ). So you may have rest Phase1 car supplied with Phase2 car Driver Manual normally supplied centralized not referred to particular car.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello,
Thanks for all replies - no problem on my end - just curious as on videos I've seen people just tap it and mine has always been long press. Mine is 2007 though so that explains it!

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
I gerrin mine, push the clutch and start it. You know I hardly even think about it apart from..

Once or twice when I have got the **"Your key is not the one I want" message (or words to that effect) and hill start feature (WTF is that pile of old crap useful for anyway? :lol:) ceased to work.
Yes, when I get that (twice now) I can only start it with the brake pedal depressed.
**Car might need a new battery.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
What BG said.
Early models were push and hold until engine starts.
Later models you just need to give the button
a quick jab.

I only ever used the clutch to start.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Just to add a little more detail, from memory, if you have a Phase 2 car and you have pressed the START button and for some reason the engine hasn't fired, then you need to press START again to stop the process, otherwise the starter motor continues to crank the engine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts