Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my Mito for 3 weeks now, getting used to it and love it. Every aspect, including adoring driving, not caring how long it takes to get home, not caring about detours around speedbumped roads, and nil annoyance about the antics of the occasional idiot driver in London.

Despite passing PDI and being released by my dealer on 1st Oct, the interior needed a bit of finishing off from me with a damp cloth in places - polish residue in corners, on leather seats, bits of dust, those kind of things. 15 mins and to be honest the polish was clear ond probably still soaking in, I think.

There were two scuffed corners on body panels which have been made good, 100%, by my great and attentive dealer. Colour is Bronzo Metal.

However, I think whoever did some preparatory stuff (I'm guessing on arrival in Britain) was rushed and careless, creating a couple of chips above the fuel filler, a dash scuff (competizione), minor scratch on the silver radio surround, scuff on the lower passenger-side centre console trim, scuff on the glovebox handle (bizarrely), and a scratch to primer inside the boot lid above the lock. If the glovebox latch could be replaced and paint pen applied to the inner bootlid, that would probably do me. I hear the glovebox opening can get a bit iffy though, so dont want to encourage.

In all, these are small things, but having never had a brand new car before, how much is reasonable and what is perfection ?

When the exterior was attended-to I had the chips by the fuel filler and one on the bonnet done, the work is ok, not the best, but better than I could have done with a pen. So, has anyone had chips retouched and what have the results been ? At present these small things are a magnet to me.

We also had a look at fit of rear bumper panels, since mine has a bulge N/S where it bolts to the arch, so was brought in a bit on assembly to make it in-gauge. Amazingly there was another Mito there with exactly the same defect, so there must have been a poor batch of bumper panels out there at some time ! Ignorable though.

I do need to get some perspective on this as I don't want to make things worse but its bugging me, advice anyone ?

I'd also appreciate feedback on make of tyres. I have Dunlop Sport Max (I think) 215s, running at book pressures, though were 3psi lower prior to reflation this week. Italian temperatures ? The ride is harsh on London roads, don't know what I can do to improve. My last car (pre-2008 potholes) went from Bridgestones on 15" rims to Toyo T1Rs on 16", result - totally different car, so there may be leeway re brand.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
i think i have ocd as well, my mito came with a faint scratch on the passenger side door sill and a nasty scratch on the plastic surrounding the ignition lock, looked like someone had missed with the key, i ended up thinking 'pobodys nerfect' and just accepted what were trivial things, two years of great motoring later and i've fogotten where the marks are, just let it go :)

·
Registered
573 Posts
It's natural to not like the car's natural wear and tear - but i think you are right to be annoyed with it from new.

i remember washing my car about 8 months in and seeing fair paint swirls and the odd stone chip and getting quite annoyed.

now over 2 years in i'm much more relaxed - although a nasty incident with a bracket jutting out of a pillar has made one rear wheel arch look like a rotweiler has taken a bite out of mito :(

my own silly fault in this case - but best to relax a little and try to just enjoy the car as pookie says - let it go and you'll be happier. it won't be perfect for ever and ever.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts