Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please help me.
I've only had the car for 6 weeks and i have noticed that i'm being a*s raped by some boy racers.
I have changed the MAF,LAMBDA,SPARK PLUGS & LEADS but still notice that when the engine is warm the car dont perform as good as when it is cold.
I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with the coil packs?
The car does (sometimes) feel lumpy and i am getting a bit of idle fluctuation.

Has anyone got any ideas?:confused:

J

·
0 Posts
I had serious acceleration issues and it turned out to be the airfilter.I only stumbled across it as i bougth a K&N filter but it inproved it by miles. After i changed the filter i had similar symptoms to your idle fluctuation and it was an air leak...

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Get a V6 and you shouldnt have that problem. I dont bother racing anyone in my TS unless I know I can beat them. Next car will defintely be V6:D

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi

This does not really help you as such, but I thought my car 2L TS was a real slug. I knew the MAF was the likely cause but today is the first day I have driven it with the MAF unplugged. Man, what a difference. It went really well. Straight to the red line no flat spot at all. Sounded much better as well, nice in fact. Not fast fast, but it is a heavy car. About the same acceleration as the non vtec CRX I used to have.

About the only thing I can say about driving with a shagged MAF is that the fuel economy is fantastic. I have not filled up for about a month now and I still have over half a tank.

I would check for air leaks for sure.

Berni

D

·
0 Posts
Speed is relative mate, if the boy racers have a Golf GTi Mk2 then it's gonna be quicker, if they have a Honda Civic Vetec then once again it's gonna be quicker, so no you aren't having problems. If however they are thrashing you in their 1.2 Punto's then you have an issue, :eek:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi Again

With the MAF plugged in mine is quite a bit slower than a 1.8 Auto Almera (wifes car), but without its quite a bit faster. The Almera itself is no slug as it happens!

Is your car pulling all the way to the red line, no flat spots? The idle fluctuation is pretty common I think. If you are getting raped it does sound like it must have an issue......

Berni

D

·
0 Posts
not 100% sure on this but i think when the maf is unplugged the engine cant monitor the warm air so it adjusts the engine to run on a cold mixture, hence better performance. you can buy off ebay them resistor chips that u plug into ur maf cable and this does the same thing, also improves torque. £6.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Speed is relative mate, if the boy racers have a Golf GTi Mk2 then it's gonna be quicker, if they have a Honda Civic Vetec then once again it's gonna be quicker, so no you aren't having problems. If however they are thrashing you in their 1.2 Punto's then you have an issue, :eek:
as above.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Possibly check the air filter as they do get neglected, also when was the fuel filter last changed ?
Does she rev round to 7000rpm freely or does it struggle in the higher rev range.
The T.S is certainly no slouch and i never have any problem's with the local Kev's. :lol:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
not 100% sure on this but i think when the maf is unplugged the engine cant monitor the warm air so it adjusts the engine to run on a cold mixture, hence better performance. you can buy off ebay them resistor chips that u plug into ur maf cable and this does the same thing, also improves torque. £6.
Nope with it unplugged it the ECU runs an some assumed default airflow values (on some alfa's anyway ... some just don't work)

whats a MAF
how do i take it off
what is it for
will it harm my car if its off
does it really improve speed?
a MAF measures the airflow into the engine the ECU then uses the amount of air to determine how much fuel to put in ... if your MAF is knackered then it will be reporting duff data to the ECU, however as the ECU has no way of verifying the data it just uses it, therefore the amount of fuel it puts in in wrong for the airflow ... the reason we say to disconnect the MAF when the car is playing up is to determine if it is the MAF that is at fault (so the ECU will run on it's default settings), if you get better performance with it disconnected then you need a new maf.

If it is off then the ECU won't fuel the car correctly for the air going in (although better than a knackered maf), this will mean that the car will be under or over fuelled (over fuelling is not great for an engine - which is why those ebay things should be avoided)

·
0 Posts
Avoid them IMHO :tut:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Avoid them IMHO :tut:
Do you know when I had a car with a manual choke I ran it with it on all the time because it gave me better performance :rolleyes: ... this is exactly what those ebay jobber do ...

·
0 Posts
^^I had an old Avenger that needed that treatment sometimes :cheese: - turned out to be a split in the diaphragm in the carb :D

To the OP, don't try 'quick fixes' for an underlying problem - I would take it to a local indy for analysis instead of guessing which parts are duff - does sound like yer MAF though (not again the crowd roar :rolleyes: :lol: ) - I changed mine recently, wasn't having any particular probs though & the diffference was like night and day :D

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I don't think the TS should be too slow. At All.

0-60 in around 8 seconds should keep up with/beat most Chav mobiles around.

Keep changing stuff and if necessary put on a diagnostic machine.

Something as simple as an air leak as mentioned can wreck the performance.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
^^ :tut: - wrong approach IMO - could cost a fortune randomly changing parts :lol:
+1 diagnostics first ... change parts after ...

D

·
0 Posts
you must have a serious lack of power as on saturday night i destroyed a celica:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 91 Posts